late dove hatch?

maximus1

Just walked out onto my back deck and a little dove was sitting there. It looked about 1/4 size.Adults flew up and landed in the tree right above me. I got about 2 feet from it and if flew about 30 feet and landed. Now it is flying back and forth across the yard with adults hanging close. Late hatch I guess. Makes me think pheasant and quail might be doing the same thing.

Looked in the back yard and now it's in the dogs kennel. The dogs are both inside the building napping. I took some pictures carefully so as not to wake the dogs. Hope it gets out soon.

They always try to get a few hatches off. I have seen eggs in the nest right before the opener. Wish they would lay more then 2 eggs each time.:thumbsup:

late hatch

according to my book: dove usually have 3 hatches and two eggs each time, rarely do they build a nest, most of the time just plop them on the ground someplace. one of the reasons that we can't shoot dove starting the mid. of aug. is cause many of the babies from the third hatch can't fly yet and then two weeks later they start to migrate, there ya have it folks. we end up with a two month season with nothing to shoot at except in may back yard. i have the non migrating kind i guess

cheers

I have found them on the ground out in the prairie. Mostly find them in pine tree's in Wind breaks and in the pine tree's in town. I know they don't nest on the ground in town. Most were about 6-8 feet off the ground. Of course the tree's were not much taller in the tree row. Have seen a few in the Russian olive tree's as well. Have Doves in my Spruce tree every year here at the house.

I just removed a dove nest from the corner of my gutter that had 2 eggs. Was an inadvertent mistake. Thought it was just debris and I was being proactive.

Doves nest continually, usually two eggs. As long as there is decent weather, they nest. Thank heaven we have a bird we can keep up! By the way, did you know doves eat no insects at all! Raise babies with grain ground up, called "pigeon milk". Got grain, open plains, a few conifers to nest it. I am chasing the collared doves now too!

Back