Last hunt at my honey hole

I'd feel like I owed a person kind enough to let me hunt their land, who then said something to me like "I don't understand where all the birds went" the favor of honesty, even if was uncomfortable. The rest of my reply also clarified my position, specifically that you needn't berate or guilt trip a farmer to be honest with him. Anybody who told me to "know my place" would also get a pretty honest response from me.

But I probably couldn’t hear you while you where driving down the lane.

I think our imaginary internet tough-guy exchange has gone far enough. It’s not advancing the conversation. We’re not going to agree, and it’s a moot point, because the original poster already said he felt comfortable discussing the issue with the landowner, which I think is the respectful thing for a man in that position to do.

Last edited:

Just to clear all this up because it seems like there are a lot of mixed opinions: first off I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't have a better relationship with the farmer. We talk outside of season a fair amount and I've hunted this property for 15 years. Second, I approached the subject and led the conversation with something to the effect of "Farmer, I wanted to talk to you about the land this year. There are a couple of things I wanted to talk about, that for me, are difficult to bring up because of my respect for you and all that you've done for me over the years. I understand that your priority is providing for your family and I respect that. I know that is priority #1 and I totally get it. Please understand my concerns are not meant to offend, but I know you're not a hunter so I wanted to share some observations. Then I went on to talk about the cows and land/etc. Was well received and he wasn't pissed at all. He appreciated me telling him. He's not a hunter so he just doesn't know. We will see what happens but as of now he's open minded.

Back