Land to release birds on for pup near Kansas City

Lanerjo

Here is what I am looking for... Let me know if anyone has any suggestions...

I have an 11 week old GSP pup. I would like to start getting her into quail. With the bird numbers the way they are this year I have a feeling that it will be extremely difficult to get her into wild birds as I would have done in the past.

I called the department of wildlife and parks and they indicated to me that releasing birds even "native" species is not acceptable. Therefore, I am looking for some land near Kansas City (30 minutes) that I would be able to release a handful of pen raised quail and really kick up my pup's prey drive and get her interested in finding birds.

I have a couple of suppliers for quail.

I just need land to release them on a few at a time so I can work my pup. As well as, when she starts getting a little older maybe shoot a few over her. When she finally progresses to the point where she is not startled by gunfire or wings then I will take her to a game farm. However, I would like to get her peaked before that happens.

Is this Ks....
I believe someone is misleading you. Search non commercial dog training on the kdwp sight.

My mistake, pigeons only

Last edited:
I have looked into the regulations... The following is why I am looking for private land... about 20 acres or so of knee high CRP

k.a.r. 115-8-4 Non-commercial hunting dog training.(a) Subject to provisions and restrictions as established by posted notice, department lands and water that are designated for public hunting or other areas as designated by the department shall be open for the non-commercial training of hunting dogs as follows:
(1) the non-commercial training of bird dogs and retrieving dogs shall be authorized through-out the year.
(2) The non-commercial training of trail hounds and sight hounds shall be authorized and in compliance with established running and hunting seasons.
(b) Pigeon, pen-raised or wild-trapped, may be released and shot during the non-commercial training of bird dogs and retrieving dogs. Banding of released pigeons shall not be required.
(c) Other that pigeons, no game bird, pen-raised, or wild trapped bird may be released on department lands or water during the non-commercial training of bird dogs and retrieving dogs, unless specifically authorized by a permit issued by the department.

I personally do not see why there would be an issue with releasing pen raised quail in 3s or 4s during hunting season to train a bird dog. I guess I will have to find a supplier of pigeons since I can release and shoot them year round.

This is only regarding the use of public hunting lands and walk in hunting access lands... Private property release has a separate set of rules... I live in the city and do not have access to much private land if any. That is why I was looking into using public lands. In days of old I would have just taken the Pup out and let her roam to find wild birds....

Back