Lament to the end of SD 2008 Pheasant season

Boomer-IN

Well...
time to start planning for next year!
Hunted in SD November 3-7 and wanted to get back for 5 more days...but didn't make it :( bummer!

Next year I'm going to try to get back between Christmas and New Year.

I am a SD native who has sojourned in S. Indiana for the past 29 years!
To mark the end of the pheasant hunting season I took my lab out and we got into a big covey of quail...managed to put 4 in the game bag....I would trade 4 quail for one rooster anyday!

Any body out there have reports from SD on the final weekend of the season?

Arrived Thursday....35 degrees and pretty calm...took a wildlife drive and saw tons and tons of birds...thought we would leave them be until the rest of our gang showed up the following morning. Friday was a bit windy and a tad bit cooler, but not a bad day, considering it was January. Didn't plan on it, but I ran into a neighboring farmer who said that his dad was organizing a hunt at noon, and that we were welcome...I always accept their invite, as the ground they have is usually loaded with birds, which was the case. We were part of large group, but that is one way to effectively hunt this late in the season. When it was all done, I believe we hunted 4 different pieces of CRP, probably saw 1000+ birds, and the group got its limit. Really nice guys we got hooked up with, about 1/3 who I knew, and the rest I didn't, but all were super guys...very safe, too, which is key.

Saturday was tough...very, very windy, creating wind chills that were hard to tolerate. Hunted one farm in the a.m., and the five of us killed 7 birds by eleven thirty. Saw very few birds until one of our gang wandered through the silos and grain bins which are interspersed with some cover....many, many hundreds of birds poured out of this tiny area, creating some fast shooting for those of us close to this area...I killed four, three of which were shot within about 15 seconds of each other. Ended the season with some better shooting than I had exhibited in the prior couple of days, which is nice...I had missed some easy shots in the prior several days of hunting.

When we concluded the big group hunt on Friday, we were standing around bs'ng and I felf some movement in my vest...I handed my gun to another hunter (who now had 2 in his hands) and I reached in and found the live bird...I guess I had him by the tail as I pulled him out of my vest...he was flapping like crazy, and he won! He left me with a a handful of tailfeathers as he flew away, flying directly over a pickup which had 8 of our hunters sitting in the bed, all unable to shoot as they had unloaded by now. The bird flew away, which means he was the first bird that my younger PL brought to me when I entered this field, as I watched my dog chase it down...I assumed it was a cripple, but it must have been a healthy bird that held too long and got grabbed by the dog. It was a good way to end the hunt, everybody got a good chuckle out of it.

2008 was another great season, although the last 3 trips (all Dec) were shortened by blizzards or inclement weather...hasn't been like this for awhile...got spoiled, I guess! It was great getting to hunt with Uncle Buck on this last outing, as well as a "lurker" from PC as well as this website who is from SE SD and whom pheasants fear like you cannot believe! Hope 2009 is a great year for all of you...BB.

Last edited:
BB,

Thanks for the post! Sounds like a great ending to a great pheasant season. It is literally a blast to be a part of those large party, late season hunts. Action can be fast and furious!

The one that got away....great story! Thanks again for sharing your late season experience.

God bless,

The best thing about the 08 season was watching the progression of my pup. He was born in June and I started hunting him the 1st week of Nov at 5months. He started out with.....

1 Walking by me or following his dad, my older dog, around the field aimlessly
2 Figuring out he was suppose to be looking for something
3 Hunting independently
4 Figuring out he was suppose to be looking for pheasants and ran after them like crazy. Most times well out of gun range.
5 Helping his dad make retrieves. Pheasants can be really heavy and need two dogs sometime.
6 Hunting for birds with-in gun range.
7 Marking shot birds, hunting dead and making independent retrieves.

He may not be the greatest in the world but it was nice to see this progress made when he is only 7 months old. Hunting him 35 days in the field helped a lot.

Four of us hunted Saturday. Like BB, we dealt with cold temps and wind driven snow. We worked the CRP fields looking for the birds setting tight. The cold, wind and snow created some missed shots, but we managed to bag 7 roosters. The cold really got to a couple of guys so we ended the field hunt a lot earlier than planned. We decided to try to ambush a shelter belt before calling it quits for the day. The shelter belt was just loaded with birds. Unfortunately, it was overwhelmingly hens. There were a few roosters, but they all managed to bail in the wrong direction and not even one shot was fired.

After that we decided to get home before it got dark. Turned out to be a good idea. The drive home was miserable in the daylight with white out conditions from Kimball to Salem. Sure glad we didn't have to deal with that in the dark.

We closed out the weekend with a deer/pheasant combo. Friday was great, sun was bright and most the birds were in the stubble fields, Saturday was tough with lots of drifting snow, very low visibility and very high winds. We did fill out with 8 guys by about 3, but it wasn't easy hunting, most birds were in CRP, switch grass or tree belts, very hard on the dogs. Sunday was cold, but the hunting was great! We got our 24 birds by noon and filled 5 doe tags by 4! This weekend closed out the 08 season for me, it's been the best year by far in my 23+ years of hunting! Time to clean the guns, rest the dogs and dream about next year!

Steve

When I have a bigger group, 8-12 guys, we like to push from all sides and work to the middle, instead of walkers and blockers. It doesn't alway work, but it seems the odds go up. Good Luck!

Hunted Artesian area same dates as BB - his results were better. Friday was the best day of hunting. Lots of birds in shelter belts - Saturday was unbelievable with the blowing snow and cold. Hunted several shelter belts but birds were super skittish and jumping far out - due to wind and snow difficult conditions and not enough blockers - worked one belt squeezing the middle as Husker described. Sunday was much better in terms of temp, sunny and about 10, but birds were just as skittish in SB as they were the day before. Tried road hunting and saw hundreds of birds feeding late but very few on roads.

Four of us used our second five day out of state license the last weekend around Chamberlin. Weather was terrible with wind & snow, after several attempts at Walk-in areas we got smart and hunted public shelterbelts where we managed to get six birds at one spot. Saw hundreds of birds on private land next to public areas. Can not believe the number of roosters we saw.

I live about 11 miles southeast of Vincennes. I hunt in Knox and Pike Counties. Tomorrow is the last day for quail. I got out a couple hours this afternoon and found a nice covey over in Pike County. I bagged 3 birds...my lab made a couple amazing retrieves....I guess I'll keep feedin' him the rest of the winter :):):)!:)

Our season stays in until Jan 31st....might get out a few days by then....hope so...quail arent high in numbers this year....but just enough to get excited and lose a few pounds walking around a bit...my brittany needs to lose a few also...couch dog and hunting dog combination. I think I taught her right...he he. I went to south central SD and had a good time on my first pheasant trip . We did well...for our trip...what part do you hunt? Doug

Well the season was ok if like control hunts in IL., it was good for the dog to evaulate him on what I need to work on this off seaon, so I can get him ready for our first trip to SD.

SE Iowa?

Mr. H,

Do you have any birds around the area where you live. I have heard that there are some birds in SE Iowa...around the Muscatine area? Do you ever get over into Iowa to hunt?

Back