Lab guys?

Blacksheep

Is 4 years old to old to make a lab point? I like going for walks, not runs. Lately the birds have been running and not holding tight.

Anyone got any tips on teaching a lab to point?

Here's how I taught my Golden Ret. to point...would assume it will work on your lab:

I taught the dog the word stay - that's the first step.

When he was learning about birds(first controlled hunt) we planted birds and worked the dog into the wind toward the planted bird.

When he was close and very excited, he would freeze. At this point I told him to stay.

We repeated this process and it worked.

I reinforced the process in the garage, with a training dummy and rope: toss the dummy and pull on the rope when the dog gets close. Tell him to stay - he already knows this command, right? Release him to retrieve the dummy.

It's actually quite simple, but the dog needs to understand the word stay!

Good Luck...

Yes, he understands the command stay. I'll use this training method. Hope it works for mine as it did yours. Thanks.

Is 4 years old to old to make a lab point? I like going for walks, not runs. Lately the birds have been running and not holding tight.

Anyone got any tips on teaching a lab to point?

If they are running they aren't going to stay in place for a point.

I here ya on that. But at times the birds will run out of cover and hold, but my lab is too far ahead of me for a decent shot. I would like for him to get up there and point until I make up the distance.

So, why do you want a retriever to point?? Or do you really just want a dog that stays in shooting range?

Teaching my dog to hold (point) on a bird that's unwilling to fly or move has been more of a novelty than a necessity.

Today he pointed about 16 birds at a hunt south of the city; the cover was thick and filled with snow; the birds did not want to fly so we kicked them free.

With the dog on point we knew where to kick!

Teaching my dog to hold (point) on a bird that's unwilling to fly or move has been more of a novelty than a necessity.

Today he pointed about 16 birds at a hunt south of the city; the cover was thick and filled with snow; the birds did not want to fly so we kicked them free.

With the dog on point we knew where to kick!

Wild birds or game farm?

I do. He returns with tone, but in a hunting scenario, the tone no longer works and I have to use the shock on low. I'll try doing this until he gets it.

I would start back out in a non-hunting scenario and use a check cord with the dog. The backyard or a near by park works well. Then work on it with a hunting scenario. Good news is, sounds like your dog has a great prey drive!

Training Lab

I have an 8 month old lab that chases wild on moving birds. My plan for next season is to use the sit whistle to stop her before she gets to far out. Then release dog when I catch up and repeat as necessary while pursuing a runner. Always easier said then done , and we need to get through collar training and more yard work ect. to get to that point.

Back