Kennels covers

Hoster05

Got a new travel kennel for my pup and trying to decide on a kennel cover. I have my eyes on the mud river. Anyone have an opinion on insulated vs up insulated? It will be a year round cover in central MN...

I'm not sure why you would consider uninsulated, winter is the only time of year I have used them. In the summer I'm looking for maximum airflow. I have a topper on my truck so I don't need wind/sun protection.
I can't remember the brand-name I have but it is not mud river they do appear to be very nice. I have found with a 70 pound lab in an intermediate size crate with a kennel jacket they can keep the temperature close to 60? on a 0? day. And yes I do believe it intermediate is plenty large for a 75 pound lab.

I agree with Gatzby. No need for a year round cover and but an insulated one for use in cold months. It would be way too warm in the summer and warmer months. The Mud River is an excellent cover. If you are going to be using the kennel & cover in the back of a pickup you would want a good one. I bought less expensive insulated covers that work great but mine are in the back of my SUV.

Just curious about what you do if it's raining hard. That's normally not a problem in the winter but it does happen now and then. When I used crates with covers I strapped a small tarp across the top. Will the better insulated covers like the Mud River shed water?

I just picked up a Mud River and am impressed with it. No worries about it being water resistant. What I really like about it is the oversize option they offer for large kennels. It allows enough space for me to slide a piece of foam insulation above and below the kennel. I typically drive three hours or so in cold temps to get to my late-season pheasant hunting spot, and like to know that my dogs are comfortable in the back of my truck, particularly on the way home after the hunt, when they climb into the box cold and wet. The 1/2 inch styrofoam makes quite a difference, particularly beneath the kennel.

Other than that, the construction is much heavier than the other covers I've used, so it appears that I'll get more years of use out of the Mud River cover.

Back