Kennel Cough

Dakotazeb

I searched "Kennel Cough" on the site and it appears the subject has not been discussed for quite some time. I had to kennel my Brittany over the Labor Day weekend and this week she came down with Kennel Cough. She gets an annual Bordetella shot but from what I've been reading dogs can get kennel cough even if they have been vaccinated. So what good is the Bordetella vaccine if they are going to get it anyway? I know that all boarding kennels require dogs to be treated before they will take them, but why? I found out that some other dogs that were at that same kennel in July got kennel cough and they are had been vaccinated.

My Brittany is on her third day of drugs. Daxycycline and Prednisone. Still has some coughing when she runs or gets a little excited but seems to be improving. I'm assuming a week to 10 days before she's totally over it.

The times I have taken my dogs to a trainer they have been given a nasal spray for kennel cough even if they have had a vac. You would think vets might do the same

As far as I know all Bordetella vaccines are a nasal spray, I haven't seen one administered by needle but could be wrong.
Also don't quote me on these numbers but I think the vaccine is good for something like 17 strains and unfortunately they don't know how many strains there are. So its a crap shoot like the flu shot.

Back