Kennel Cough

Ranger Rick

Has anyone out there in UPH land had experience with kennel cough? My setter is going through it for the second year in a row. Last year it cleared up quickly enough. This year after a course of anti-biotics it was waning, but just won't go away. If he gets excited he starts coughing and yacking. Throws up yellow bile once in a while. The blastomycosis test came back negative [I lost my last dog at 5 years to blasto], so did tests for lung parasites. He's not running a fever, is pretty much his pain-in-the-ass self, has gained a few pounds as expected after the hunting season, but the cough persists. The Vet is saying if it's a virus we just wait to let it run it's course, but it's been 5-6 weeks now.

All three of my dogs had it in mid October. All three were mostly cleared up in 3-4 days of anti biotics. It probably took 7-10 days for it to be fully cleared up. I can see what was prescribed if you want. I know the vet wanted to use Doxy but price and availability made that impossible. I was never able to determin where we contracted it???

FYI Target pharmacys can fill many K9 prescriptions

All mine got it on the road last year at the national, all ok in a week of anti. Can look up what brand, wanna say clavamox, could be wrong. Do you do the bordetela shot? Normaaly do, but I did not last year when I should have. Thanks for the reminder, Needs doin right now. Shot seems to work for most strains.:thumbsup:

Back