Keeping your dog in shape

Jbhunts

How do you guys keep your dogs in shape in the off season. And guys with labs. How far do you run your lab at a time in offseason

Right now it is shed hunting so they get lots of miles doing that. I give them late spring/early summer off to get a break and then in the summer time we do a lot of swimming. Then as cooler weather arrives more and more running.

How do you guys keep your dogs in shape in the off season. And guys with labs. How far do you run your lab at a time in offseason
Being in Arizona during the winter—
We do some walking in desert every day or just about every day—throw some bumpers—and maybe a few simple but long blinds-nothing when to hot-
Back in Mn. summer leading into fall enough regular land training to keep them sharp -
Strong believer-in swimming for conditioning—instead of road work-they will be swimming up to a mile a day going into season-
JMO-much better on joints ect. Than road work-

Dog agility. Here in the far north we suffer from months of ice and deep snow. Training outside brings on a host of injuries. Started doing dog agility on a whim for entertainment one night a week. I can work them for 20 minutes and have their tongues hanging out. Made them better hunters and to be honest I have a lot of fun doing it. Basically the dog is doing wind sprints in the dirt, also requires me to exercise. Come spring we do an agility session and than go throw bumpers in the field.

Back