kansas walk in suggestions

7ex

I'm heading to illinois over the holidays and planning on hitting some of the walk-in areas in Kansas, along the I-70 corridor.

any suggestions? thanks.

7ex
(mostly a lurker, but contribute when I can.)

We did really well around Colby a few weeks ago. Jump on google earth and look for CRP ditches in corn fields. That's where we found most of the birds.

thanks. the Kansas walk in maps look like there is plenty of property to hunt. should keep me busy. will post what I find.

for anyone interested, the Kansas license site says if you buy a 2014 license after december 15, it will be good through 2015.

Correction, if you purchase a 2015 license on Dec. 15 or after it will be good for the remainder of 2014 and then all of 2015. Not sure if that's what you meant.

You may want to post this question in the Kansas forum. I've never hunted Kansas, but hear great things. Good luck and report back.

Try the WIA access along I-70, east of Goodland. I have always had good luck in and around Goodland in non-drought years. Have not been there this year. I had a fun time in some WIA with my dog, east of Goodland, close to I-70, the highway and railroad tracks.

In good years, I could have gotten my limit or roosters with my truck in 15 seconds, while driving around Goodland.

:cheers:

12/19/14
- about 9am. hunted southeast of Colby, north of Oakley. nice brush covered ditch between wheat stubble and cut corn, with cut milo beyond the corn. dry, no snow on the ground. walked both sides of the ditch, but didn't see anything but meadowlarks. not even a footprint in the dust. scouted a couple other walk-ins in the area, but saw no sign.

- 11:30 am. hunted three different walk-ins southeast of collyer, southwest of wakeeney. good looking ground with drainage ditches, tall grass, new wheat, creek, trees. hunted about 90 minutes, but again no birds or sign.

- 2pm. scouted walk-ins north of Ellis. not good looking pheasant ground. lots of rough looking, rocky canyons and cliffs.

- 4 pm. hunted south of wilson. snow on the ground, tall grass, cut corn, tree rows and creeks. hunted about 45 minutes and didn't even see a track in the snow. (did see 8 whitetails and a dozen turkey.)

1/2/15
- 2 pm. scouted walk-ins northwest of goodland, northeast of kanorado. snow covered fields. one walk-in looked like an old homesite. just a foundation, junk, trees and abandoned equipment. cut corn circle to the south. walked some of the property but, again no sign. drove to a couple other sites but saw no tracks in the snow along the road.

- 4pm. making my way west, about 7 or 8 birds flew across the road into private land with tall grass and a heavy juniper/cedar windbreak. wasn't a able to hunt but, was nice to finally see pheasant. headed south and saw two hens and a rooster scratching around in a snow covered pile of harvester "spit-up" near the railroad tracks. walked both sides of the tracks and kicked up several birds, nothing within shooting range. also saw plenty of sign in the snow along the tracks. I may try hunting this area again before the end of the season. not so sure about areas further east.

Back