Kansas hunt

carptom1

)Back at work this morning after a couple days out hunting Pheasants in Kansas. My two son's and a neighbor kid headed out Monday afternoon to meet up with with BrownDogsCan2 to hunt. After surviving the 6 hr drive with three boys eating junk food and soda and a near miss head on collision from some idiot on 54 hwy we made it to our hotel at about 11 pm. Up early and meet up with Aaron to walk some pivot corners. We are not twenty feet into it when we bust a large covey of quail. Another covey busts about fifty feet later or so. Finally we put up a rooster and a couple of hens. Finally a rooster gets up in range and I miss it horribly, luckily it gets dropped by the boys on my left. After walking a few more spots we head over to a piece of CRP walk in. The cover was superb but I would imagine that it is rarely overlooked and hunted often. We managed a couple hens out then finally a rooster gets up in front of Garrett the neighbor kid. Garrett was a trap shooter in high school and went all the way to nationals where he won a belt buckle for a score of 395 out of 400. Kid is a pretty good shot. We were giving him a hard time about the belt buckle in the truck that morning. Well the rooster got up and all we heard was Bang! Bang! Bang! Shit! Well I guess even the best have their moments. After lunch we headed off to hunt a long run of tumbleweeds along a dirt road. At the end the patch thickened up a bit and birds started to blow out. It ended up being one of those jailbreak flushes where birds were erupting on both sides of the road. At the end I would say 40-50 birds came out with a couple of covey's of quail as a bonus. For a second or two I thought I had somehow ended up in South Dakota :). The day ended with a 2+ mile walk were we put up several pheasants. My dog ended up spurred pretty good by a rooster he chased down during a nice retrieve in the edge of a Milo field. That was the best thing he did all day. He seemed to struggle a bit all trip. I think the dry conditions and warmer temps gave him a hard time.

The second day we started in a piece of WIHA grass on the edge of a cut milo field. A big rooster was dropped by Garrett on a real nice shot. My dog tore after him through a barbwire fence. I didn't realize it until later but he ended up with a nice gash on his chest. Then he did something I have never seen him do before. After chasing that bird down through the fence, he struggled figuring out how to get back through and decided to just drop the dead bird there. If the bird was still struggling I don't think he would have done it, but since it was dead I guess he didn't see the harm. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. I was hoping to get my younger son a shot on a pheasant so I was pulling for him with the pheasant gods. He is a bit on the timid side and ultra safe when it comes to taking shots. After not taking a couple shots he finally got one late in the day on our last walk. That made my trip.

A few parting shots:

1. Total birds seen probably 100+ pheasants and 200-300 quail in at least 10-12 coveys. More quail than I have seen in years, awesome sight. We busted 4 or so coveys in one spot alone.

2. I was humbled horribly on shooting quail. It had been at least 15yrs since I have shot one and I went probably 1 for 10 or 12. Need some work on that.

3. My ding dong dog trying to pick a fight with Aaron's Chessie that is built like Dick Butkus. I don't know what his issue is but if a dog has his nuts Buddy wants to start crap. It usually ends after the first couple fields, and never occurs while in the field only while in the truck before or after. By the end of the morning it was over. He is pretty docile otherwise and not aggressive otherwise at all. I think the hunting gets his competitiveness up and he doesn't know what to do with it.

4. All the quail had me thinking about a pointer. I think I threw up in my mouth a bit just saying that, but it was only a thought. :)

5. We hunted quite a few WIHA spots and I feel no more like a man than I did last week. Maybe I did not do it right. I will have to try it again.

Finally a shout out to BrownDogsCan2. You were most gracious with your offer to allow us to hunt some of your spots with you. The boys and us truly appreciated the effort. You were a great host and a good companion to hunt with and I look forward to doing it again some time. I certainly appreciate the gesture of taking a guy you never met and his kids out for a hunt.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the Hunt after years of no birds in KS happy you bagged some In state & saved roughly 2,000+ $$$ that would make me feel like more of a man for sure...

I got a Invite to chase some quail in KS private land I'm probably going to do it no $$$ exchange but I'll let u know if I feel like any less of a man after the trip...

There still are some nice hunters left I. KS I guess brown dogs can hunt sound gracious...

Sounds like an awesome time! Those kids are going to be hooked and you have saved them from a life of deer hunting. The cover looks really good where we were , north of you. I don't know Brown dogs but I bet he enjoyed seeing the young boys shooting.

Congratulations on the Hunt after years of no birds in KS happy you bagged some In state & saved roughly 2,000+ $$$ that would make me feel like more of a man for sure...

I got a Invite to chase some quail in KS private land I'm probably going to do it no $$$ exchange but I'll let u know if I feel like any less of a man after the trip...

There still are some nice hunters left I. KS I guess brown dogs can hunt sound gracious...

I thought you weren't going to respond to me anymore? You must love me more than you thought

Was talking about that thread & rant man... I also chatted with brown dogs can hunt b4 had to give him his props...

I see ur digs on the hunt prior & after who love who ???

No worries I won't bother ya again... I still happy u found birds on public lands we all can enjoy...

I stopped by the house on the way out and a couple people asked me how many birds we ended with, honestly I couldn't answer .....I know it felt like a lot more than it actually was. We shot some boolits for sure:D.
If we had walked 15 miles of public grass could we have killed as many,,yep. More satisfying,, on a different day maybe, but more fun no way for sure

man Carp it was a great hunt , no hacking on dogs or blowing out birds, although I'm convinced that if there were a couple of more hours in the day that dog of yours would hunt himself into the grave.

it was fun watching your boys out there birddoging those cover strips for us, the off and on chatter with a few birds as a bonus , I wish I could tell everybody how we cleaned up on the quail but if remember it right in the pasture alone the five of us were something like 4 for after about 2 boxes of shells.:D
Thanks for coming out fellas it was great day!

I stopped by the house on the way out and a couple people asked me how many birds we ended with, honestly I couldn't answer .....I know it felt like a lot more than it actually was. We shot some boolits for sure:D.
If we had walked 15 miles of public grass could we have killed as many,,yep. More satisfying,, on a different day maybe, but more fun no way for sure

man Carp it was a great hunt , no hacking on dogs or blowing out birds, although I'm convinced that if there were a couple of more hours in the day that dog of yours would hunt himself into the grave.

it was fun watching your boys out there birddoging those cover strips for us, the off and on chatter with a few birds as a bonus , I wish I could tell everybody how we cleaned up on the quail but if remember it right in the pasture alone the five of us were something like 4 for after about 2 boxes of shells.:D
Thanks for coming out fellas it was great day!

No doubt we shot a few shells. I for one was horrendous overall. I know i was pretty beat after that 11 mile day on Tuesday. I need to learn how to ease into it a little better. I kicked myself for forgetting that shock collar. He was kind of messed up hunting at heel for much of the day. I never half to shock but the threat must be there. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of birds we saw.

Great story guys. Keep them coming while I recuperate from my broken leg.
Tom

Longfellow

This is the 2 year old bird Garrett shot. We never would have got him without the dog as he was a runner. HE was pretty proud

4. All the quail had me thinking about a pointer. I think I threw up in my mouth a bit just saying that, but it was only a thought. :)

Hey finally coming around! We can get you fitted with a pointing dog no problem. I promise it won't make you throw up...:D

His dad measured it at 25.5 inches when we got home. I just got that info from my son. So pretty nice for sure.

Back