Jornada setters

MI2TX

Hi there all,

I just moved from Michigan to Dallas, TX and since I can no longer hunt the king up in MI, I'm hoping to start chasing quail across the prairies of TX, KS, OK and out in west TX. I used to chase grouse and woodcock in MI without a dog even though I really wanted one. But, I've realized if I am going to bird hunt down here and have any success I will need a dog. I've been looking at Jornada Setters and I've been thinking about getting a started dog given that I've never trained a pointing breed. I've interacted with a number of llewellin Setters and English Setters and really like their temperament. Has anybody had any interaction with dogs from Jornada Setters in New Mexico? If so, what were your thoughts? Do you have any suggestions for a first time pointing dog owner hoping to chase quail on the prairies and southwest?

Sorry that I can't help you with Jornada setters, but maybe I can frame setters for you a bit. Without knowing your hunting style or desires, I'll have to go general. You can get a setter bred for any kind of hunting in the upland bird realm. There are strains that hunt very close and methodically. There are strains that have a moderate range and retrieve naturally. There are also strains that will be out of sight most of the day and require you to have gps collars to keep track of them. You have to research yourself as to what you need then research breeders until you find one that is breeding dogs that fit your style. Don't get caught up in the most up and coming name on the all-age field trial circuit if you want a close-working dog. Don't get pulled in by the beauty of a Hemlock or Ryman if you want a rocket. Find a breeder that has a long reputation producing the kind of dog you need. Ask all the right questions to line yourself up with the litter or started dog that fits. Then close your eyes and pull out the wallet and get that dog home and start working toward a long future in the field together.

My Daughter has a Jornada dog. She is a medium range dog, and has been steady on her birds from the start. She is a good quail hunting dog, and would be a very reasonable first pointing dog for someone.

There are lots of good breeders out there including Troy. The more you can tell people what you like the more they will be able to point you in the direction of some good breeders and litters.

You do not really train a well bred pointing bird dog. It's more like being a good pack leader and letting them know what you want. Guys run into trouble when the range of the dog does not match their wants. I would not hesitate to get a pup.

Back