It's Snowing and I feel sick

Heading out with my Setter to Holyoke area Friday early to walk the snow. If anyone is interested in joining me drop me a line.

MAN this cough is really getting worse!!!:rolleyes:

I wish, I am stuck until the weekend sharing with all the other yaahoos running around out there in the Beamers!:(

I sneezed a couple of minutes ago,but I'll have to wait until Saturday :-(

Get to work Employees IM a goin huntin :cheers: :p

Well got out there and walked the State Walk-in areas. The cover was good in many locations but pretty devoid of birds. Got one hen up and saw some tracks but pretty sad out there. The saddest part, I guess was at lunch I starting talking with a local and as the conversation went on he said he farms his land for pheasants and invited me along to run our dogs in the afternoon. We went to a section he called his fat forty because you get fat on pheasants. We walk the field, my setter and his lab and my setter went on point in front of him and up came a rooster which he took a shot at. Then it broke loose 30 birds busted up out of range then the next wave of 30 birds then a few stragulars. I just watched with amazement. We finished the field with me getting 2 and he got one. The saddest part was what farming the land in a fashion that is both good for crops and wildlife could produce. Really it can be done in Colorado, he does not plant birds they are wild. It is the most I have seen outside of South Dakota. It will be hard to go back to the walk-in areas, but tonight I do have dinner.

Now I hate you!...as I am sitting here on my fat arse watching the tv and my dogs go stir crazy!....I am so jealous! ...I should be out there this morning but I am going to give all of you another day of busting all the birds until I get out tomorrow morning! ..frick!...can't believe I am waiting for my buddy who is working this morning!

By the way....JK about hating you...I appreciate more than you know how you rubbed it in our face:D....lol!...I'm a funny guy ain't I?

Well got out there and walked the State Walk-in areas. The cover was good in many locations but pretty devoid of birds. Got one hen up and saw some tracks but pretty sad out there. The saddest part, I guess was at lunch I starting talking with a local and as the conversation went on he said he farms his land for pheasants and invited me along to run our dogs in the afternoon. We went to a section he called his fat forty because you get fat on pheasants. We walk the field, my setter and his lab and my setter went on point in front of him and up came a rooster which he took a shot at. Then it broke loose 30 birds busted up out of range then the next wave of 30 birds then a few stragulars. I just watched with amazement. We finished the field with me getting 2 and he got one. The saddest part was what farming the land in a fashion that is both good for crops and wildlife could produce. Really it can be done in Colorado, he does not plant birds they are wild. It is the most I have seen outside of South Dakota. It will be hard to go back to the walk-in areas, but tonight I do have dinner.

That is my point exactly!!! If Colorado had incentives for farmers/ranchers to maintain some of their land that would be condusive for pheasants, then things would be better.

That's what Kansas does. After being out there this past weekend, it is like night and day between Colorado and Kansas when it comes to habitat. Even with the drought, things are better than they were two years ago and last year. The birds can rebound if we can get some good, timely moisture (no hail storms) several years in a row.

The winter wheat out in Kansas looked really good and green!!

The birds I cleaned had corn and milo in them.

I don't know if I will be wasting my gas or time on much public stuff in Colorado this season. Will just stick to places like SteelForks or Quail Run, mainly for the dog work.

Greg

Back