It's been a bit warm...

Kismet

UPH Guru
for me and for Mick so far.

We've gone out only three times, and skipped the first two weekends. Mick is showing his years, especially in the warmer (60's) weather and sunny skies. We go through the water for him in less than two hours. As inevitable as it is, still kind of sad for me. Part of the package.

Warmed up on a couple days that had me shedding layers. I like my Fall weather cooler, still, been a few roosters that came home.

I'm not going to wish for colder weather in Wisconsin, 'cuz sure as heck the Weather Gods will drop 18 inches of snow in one day and then keep the temps in the single digits for all of Winter. :D

But my most favorite part of hunting is watching the dog work, you know?

Great picture...job well done!

My dogs don't do well at all in the warm weather either. It was in the mid to upper 70s when I was in SD this past weekend. Frequent rest stops and lots of water are essential.

It was cooler starting out mornings in the north over the weekend. Started with shell jacket and went to a vest after the first go. Worked hard in swirling, gusty winds on Saturday morning, but shot a limit of woodcock. Sunday morning we were done with our 3 woodcock in about 10 minutes. then moved to more mature cover hoping to find grouse and do a little scouting for deer season. No grouse either day. But had good work from Max.

Next up is the trip to Iowa. I hope they get some corn off this week, as early reports on the Iowa thread are talking about a lot of standing corn.

Yesterday was a touch to warm here for me but today It went a little to far the other way. Mid 30's, wet and windy as hell here in Montana but there are a few more birds than back home.

Yesterday it was 75 degrees and sunny, today it was in the low 50's and partly cloudy, with gusty 10-20 mph winds. Sun danced in and out, but the 20 degree drop was so welcome to the old dog and the old guy.

I carried the single shot NEF 20ga, modified, and we had the state property to ourselves--a much welcomed difference for me. Mick doesn't really care one way or another.

It took some serious walking, but while I was on the slope of the high ground, Mick was trailing around and away from me, out of sight because of some bushes and a few junk trees. I heard the cackle, then flapping, as several roosters busted up. One flew in a crossing pattern up and across my field of view. I'd been repeating "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast," to myself and brought the bird down.

The other bird/s ? did not flush within my sight, but there were more than the one that cackled.

We headed out beyond the far slope and on a brush line between fields, an already-spooked bird took off again, this time with a springer spaniel in hot pursuit. Before I could call him back, Mick and the bird had reached the edge of the tree line. The bird kind of crash-landed in some branches, then found a roost. Mick spotted him, and ignoring my requests, was barking his head off to let me know we'd found a dumb one. :)

I got down there, and collared the dog, then went collecting rocks to pitch at the bird. It only took three stones flying past him and the pheasant took off again. Mick almost pulled me over, lunging to follow it.

I'm not sure, but I think I heard him muttering as we went in the opposite direction.

On the far side of the property, we collected our second bird. Mick had some water and I lit my pipe, and declared this a good day. It was too windy to be perfect, but it sure seemed close to it for me.

Last edited:
Very nice Kis:thumbsup:.

P.S.--I tip my hat to you. Blasting those roosters with that single-shot and all. I have a single shot 20 from when I was a kid. Can't hit a dang thing with that gun:eek:. lol

1pheas4? If you get a chance, get a look at an NEF or H&R single 20...any of the last 25 years, probably, and bring it up to your shoulder. It is so light, even I can bring it up quickly, be tracking the bird sooner than with my other guns...even the AYA 20 sxs. I've got old Hercules/Stevens singles, but I'll bet the NEF is 6 lbs or less.

The other thing with some guns, in my experience, is the the length of pull is just a bit too long to have it snug into my shoulder at just the right spot. I used to adjust my SELF to the gun; now I adjust the gun to me, by shortening the stock if necessary. I shoot better with a stock that is too short than one that is too long.

Might be the issue with your old 20. Also, don't even bother with a recoil pad for hunting shooting. You just don't need it.

Thanks and best wishes.

The next day...on a roll, with one "Whattadawg!" moment, and one "Whattashot" instance. Colder still, around 50 degrees, less wind, but some; mid-week empty hunting grounds except two guys who had a nine year old English Setter, a sweetheart old dog, but thin as an anorexic runway model. They were leaving.

Mick and I wandered on out, once again much relieved by the cool weather. We haphazardly hunted the high ground along the field road until we got to the back quarter of the property. Mick picked up his interest and did his on-again-off-again stop and pose, head erect and slightly canted, almost as if he was trying to figure something out. He moved on and down the slope, taking wide loops in a serpentine path, ending near a scraggly bush which proved to be the skulking place of a rooster pheasant.

Up it went, flying downhill, almost in a straight line away from me. I fired and it canted down in the dense field grasses, disappearing from view. What I could view was the white and liver patch of trailing dog, hot on the bird's trail. The chase must have zig-zagged seventy-five yards or more before the dog colors vanished. I hoped for the best.

AND I GOT IT! The new, used, dog came through like a master hunter. He appeared at intervals on his return, head held up with the russet chest of the bird flashing through the weeds. Unusually, but not unheard of, the bird was lifting his head, watching their progress through the grasses. I shot it, but didn't kill it; Mick retrieved it, but didn't damage it. I put things in order.

This was great trailing and retrieving, showing a soft mouth and (pardon the pun) dogged determination on the retrieve. For an older dog who was fading fast in the warm weather, it was like a rebirth. Good feelings abounded in my head.:)

Then, later, further on, lower down and then back up, over, and around, Mick moved another bird from a brush line to my right and a rooster popped up and boogied fast across my line of sight, making a passing shot which would have been a forgivable miss on my part.

I needed no forgiveness. :) It was not a brag shot, but one which required a certain amount of skill and sufficient reflexes, both commodities which surge and fall in older men. I surged today.

The bird tumbled past an adjoining tree line and Mick went to the retrieve. Then, just to put me back in the right frame of mind, he brought it back, put it down about fifteen feet away, and then came to me. This is a routine we've followed since he became my hunting partner. It takes about three stern instructions before he brings the bird all the way back.

A very good day. I've already given the birds away, but the memories will linger on.

Be neat to be able to relive some days, with all the sensations and feelings that go with them, wouldn't it?

Had to go out today, weather forecast for tomorrow has 50mph wind gusts, sleet, then rain, and wind-chills in the 20's. We hit the property around 1:30 p.m.

You're a confident shot Kismet. Hunting with "one shot". Good for you:thumbsup:

Thanks, but it has a lot to do with how light a single-shot is. :)

Mick and I had one of those great days: The property to ourselves, temps in the low 50's, kind of strong winds, but tolerable, sun shining, and both of us keeping our aches and pains under control.

Mick did better than I did, with some great trailing, and two strong flushes, and then retrieves--again, one with the live bird REALLY ticked off. I made a questionable hit. I argue with myself on such, but I have to figure if I didn't wait until the time I did, I would have missed the bird entirely.

And yes, today was the Winchester 12ga 370 single, cut down to 25 inches and with an improved cylinder choke screwed in. After a couple of hours, even that seemed heavier. Must be a variance in the pull of gravity in some areas on the property. Ya think?

About 2 and a half hours in, I was ready for a livery service to take me back to my car.:)

Back