Iowa Pheasants

jmnhunter

My friend and I are going to participate in the IA opener this year for the first time. We'll be in the NW region. As a MN/SD/ND pheasant hunter (cattatils, CRP, willow clumps, etc), just curious if the habitat is much different than MN? It seems like there are more rolling hills with more brushy ravines.

I have found far less burrs/stickers in Iowa than mn. Far less. One HUGE difference is you can hunt ditches in Iowa. That opens up a LOT of territory and all but eliminates unwanted competition. Thousands of miles of narrow fields. Finding the right ones is the trick.

I have found far less burrs/stickers in Iowa than mn. Far less. One HUGE difference is you can hunt ditches in Iowa. That opens up a LOT of territory and all but eliminates unwanted competition. Thousands of miles of narrow fields. Finding the right ones is the trick.
The only trouble with ditch hunting is often the best ditches butt right up to someone’s CRP field. It can be awfully tough to keep a good dog solely in the ditch and not having them wander into the private property field. I’m not against walking ditches, but have avoided the ones where the dogs are likely to trespass.

The only trouble with ditch hunting is often the best ditches butt right up to someone’s CRP field. It can be awfully tough to keep a good dog solely in the ditch and not having them wander into the private property field. I’m not against walking ditches, but have avoided the ones where the dogs are likely to trespass.
Yea those ones are tricky.

I know one just so!!! If I ever try it I'll just leave the dog in the truck. It's not a very long walk, prolly take 15 minutes.

Back