Iowa Pheasants

Madison COunty

Has anyone been out lately hunting cocks? I have not heard any reports for awhile and was just wondering if you are seeing many or is everybody trying to keep this information TOP SECRET?:D

Lessons learned

The weather lately has not been favorable for decent pheasant hunting with dog work. Working my dog is the main reason I go. The winds have been strong. It is very tough for a dog to work birds in winds that exceed 20 mph. We had 40 mph winds during the last week.

Secondly, today is the opener of shotgun deer season. I learned many years ago to give the "orange mafia" a wide berth as land access/permission often go by the wayside when they are moving the deer. If I could share the number of times I had been shot towards or infringed upon when hunting private lands for pheasant during deer season this forum would crash due to data overload!:p Seriously, I believe many of us "choose" to stay out of harm's way when the deer seasons open up.

hunting

The weather lately has not been favorable for decent pheasant hunting with dog work. Working my dog is the main reason I go. The winds have been strong. It is very tough for a dog to work birds in winds that exceed 20 mph. We had 40 mph winds during the last week.

Secondly, today is the opener of shotgun deer season. I learned many years ago to give the "orange mafia" a wide berth as land access/permission often go by the wayside when they are moving the deer. If I could share the number of times I had been shot towards or infringed upon when hunting private lands for pheasant during deer season this forum would crash due to data overload!:p Seriously, I believe many of us "choose" to stay out of harm's way when the deer seasons open up.

KBell- You are right about the weather. Its hard to hunt with high winds and it being so darn warm. December 3rd today and it will be 63 degrees. I will be working outside in a teeshirt today!:D

Back