Internet Scouting, or maybe I have been here to long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldandnew

O.K. I have now addressed a poster, actually two, who wanted to know how to hunt pheasants in Connecticut! Well I have very little idea except I remember I saw somewhere they stock birds. I told them that. Them in 5 seconds to assuage my curiosity, I looked up Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment, known as DEEP.... Amazingly, it has a fairly simple website with public hunting/wildlife areas to hunt, also a link to how many pheasants they stock, pheasant stamp you need, etc. My response is recorded, I will not say it here! Paradox, we need new blood, both in the sport, and in this sight, problem is how do we do it? I don't remember anyone encouraging me to go hunting, but know body discouraged me, we had farmers and they had quail, doves too. If these guys do not have the initiative to go forward and learn by hard knocks, are we wasting our time? I have made a lot of effort to bring hunters along, youth hunters are worth the effort even if the wander away, they might come back down the road, in any case, they have a positive view point of what we do. The guys in Connecticut, are never going to be a competition to me, and less #$%@ freezes over to get me there! Does it hurt? well I gave some advice to Canadian who wants to got to Montana, well it didn't hurt me but it sure might hurt the Montana sportsmen! Maybe some filter to make sure we have some idea of who these people are, before they ask questions, like a number of posts, plus an introduction at least? The sport of hunting was policing yourself, there were guys who had a gun, we considered poor sportsmen and would not associate with, certainly not hunt with them. maybe we should be forthcoming and guide these people, educating them about the sport. Or maybe I'm not just old, I am cantankerous and crotchy too!

O.K. I have now addressed a poster, actually two, who wanted to know how to hunt pheasants in Connecticut! Well I have very little idea except I remember I saw somewhere they stock birds. I told them that. Them in 5 seconds to assuage my curiosity, I looked up Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment, known as DEEP.... Amazingly, it has a fairly simple website with public hunting/wildlife areas to hunt, also a link to how many pheasants they stock, pheasant stamp you need, etc. My response is recorded, I will not say it here! Paradox, we need new blood, both in the sport, and in this sight, problem is how do we do it? I don't remember anyone encouraging me to go hunting, but know body discouraged me, we had farmers and they had quail, doves too. If these guys do not have the initiative to go forward and learn by hard knocks, are we wasting our time? I have made a lot of effort to bring hunters along, youth hunters are worth the effort even if the wander away, they might come back down the road, in any case, they have a positive view point of what we do. The guys in Connecticut, are never going to be a competition to me, and less #$%@ freezes over to get me there! Does it hurt? well I gave some advice to Canadian who wants to got to Montana, well it didn't hurt me but it sure might hurt the Montana sportsmen! Maybe some filter to make sure we have some idea of who these people are, before they ask questions, like a number of posts, plus an introduction at least? The sport of hunting was policing yourself, there were guys who had a gun, we considered poor sportsmen and would not associate with, certainly not hunt with them. maybe we should be forthcoming and guide these people, educating them about the sport. Or maybe I'm not just old, I am cantankerous and crotchy too!

Hell no pete your one of my favorites on here! You have always helped me in mo and when I asked you about Montana. But my favorite thing about you is your football knowledge you have let the old days of the big 10 dominance go and you realize the big 12 isn't competitive anymore probably the least you always tell the truth and how it is I cant wait to meet you someday and talk football we might even walk a field :thumbsup:

Internet Scouting

I think when someone asks for information like that and they don't include basic information about themselves or where they are from then it opens everything up to speculation what their motives are. I'm glad to help out but like you said even Connecticut has a wealth of info about basic pheasant hunting information. Montana has so much info on their site I couldn't get to every public spot in a lifetime, I'm going to try like hell however:D Even if you spent 25 minutes cruising this website you would up with some great information. Half the fun of the hunt is getting there, meeting the locals, doing the research. In a time when information can be readily attained by the click of a button it seems like some are to busy to even do basic legwork. I guess I'm a cranky old man too, probably explains why my only friend is a yellow dog, a over under shotgun and a fishing boat. The end is near my friends.

I think the answer is just to help people as much as you feel comfortable... Sometimes you get burned out answering the same questions over and over. My level of "helpfulness" on the forum is directly related to my level of time to kill. :laugh: When it comes to favors, a stranger doesn't owe me anything, and vice versa. But I don't mind throwing out a nugget of advice or encouragement as time permits.:thumbsup:

Before my first deer hunt I read a couple pamphlets on how to field dress a deer. Then I asked a guy at work with lots of experience how he does it. And then when I had my first deer on the ground, I called the farmer, who also had lots of experience, and had him watching over my shoulder and giving me pointers. Afterward I went back to the guy at work and described how I had done it and asked if there were any more "tricks" to make it cleaner and easier. All three sources were really helpful in teaching me how to get the job done efficiently.

Sure, I could have just read the pamphlet and started hacking away, but I am REALLY glad I asked advice from some knowledgeable sources. Thanks to them I was able to do the job confidently and a whole lot better than I would have done if I hadn't asked. I was able to field dress my first deer as well as somebody who had been deer hunting for years. :thumbsup:

Anyway, that's what I think about when somebody asks a question and I think I might be able to help them. We all started sometime, and we all had dumb questions. If I was going to start pheasant hunting today, I would probably read a couple books, everything on the KDWPT website, and then I would still ask questions to people who know more than me. Actually, I'm still reading people's advice on this forum and learning...:cheers:

I agree with you guys. when I started hunting there was no internet and no cell phones. I do ALOT of online scouting now for out of state info and cell phone numbers where you can readily reach upland biologists and DNR people for info. Most of the time they go out of their way to help you with info. They've even called me back later to find out how I made out and if they could help more in any way. When I was a kid I read every dog training book, pheasant and quail book, grouse and woodcock books and articles I could find, beg, :cheers:borrow or steal...and it didn't slow down any when I got into my 20's...still read alot.. I was addicted to gaining knowledge on all these important topics. That was my formal education....30 plus years of chasing birds birds all across this great nation and walking behind many bird dogs was my college education..lol Getting a quick tip from a guy is always great and appreciated and we all like to help people out..AND be helped ourselves.. but I think IF people are just looking for a handout they are really missing alot of what IT'S all about. I enjoy doing the research and phone calls and walking to make it all come together. Maybe the hunting and bird numbers arent what they were in the 60's or 70's or even 80's BUT the information is SO much easier to get...its all at your fingertips and instantly available...you don't have to wait for bird surveys to be mailed anymore...don't have to call a land line phone for an upland biologist when he's never in the office to return your call.....you can look at a spot on google maps thats 1000 miles away while sitting in your house. I will never be a wealthy man but I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams with memories from all the years I've had hunting with friends and my dogs. I remember one time about 15 years ago in Vermont on a solo grouse hunting trip. I had been hunting public ground with little success...I was driving around scouting for greener pastures....I kind of got lost and stopped at a little gas station-general store. While I was filling up an older gentleman pulled up next to me and started filling up himself. "Bird hunting?" he said to me..I was dressed in LL Bean and Orvis' finest offerings at the time and I'm sure he was laughing to himself....Yes I replied. "Doing any good?" He said.....seeing a few...not what I was hoping I replied. After we talked a while and he had a conversation with my English Pointer...he offered me some help. "I have an old orchard down the road from my house you can try if you'd like" he said. I was trying not to race to quickly to get in my truck and yell a big WHOOOOHOOO...lol. I calmly said...thank you that would be great. I followed him down a gravel road ...he stopped at his driveway and directed me to where I needed to go. That abandoned apple orchard tucked away in the hills somewhere in Vermont was like it was put on this earth by GOD himself for me to find. It was the most unbelievable dream come true hunts you could EVER hope for. I enjoyed a couple seasons going back there and hunting a few times...then the ground got sold and a house was built on it and it was gone. But THOSE are the things that people miss out on when they are just looking for a handout on the internet. Kicking dirt with a farmer or local is one of the finest things in life... most times they know exactly where you should be hunting...it just depends on you whether or not their going to share the information. Things like that DO happen when you put in your time ...it was a handout I guess....but an honorable one....lol....I still ask for help for new areas and a nudge in the right direction is always appreciated but I DO a lot of investigation on my own..wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
Toad...I can totally relate...although I did my share of deer hunting when I was young....success was VERY limited lol my first deer my cousin gutted for me...then he also butchered it....I did help by handing him knives :thumbsup:

later on when I needed info on that subject...many people were helpful with their tricks and tips....everyone does it different I guess. Now just like anything else you can look it up on Youtube and theres 200 videos showing you how. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the good ole internet. lol

Internet scouting is alive and well. Even on UPH.
Some 6,000 members and 800 active.
Lots of one post wonders, help them if you like.
My thing is to encourage new members to contribute and get to know people, some do and some have become good UPH contributors.
The pm works the best when you want to help those that become your friends.:cheers:

Internet scouting is alive and well. Even on UPH.
Some 6,000 members and 800 active.
Lots of one post wonders, help them if you like.
My thing is to encourage new members to contribute and get to know people, some do and some have become good UPH contributors.
The pm works the best when you want to help those that become your friends.:cheers:

Yep, yep, and yep!

I share very specific info with those that are around often. When a long-time member (or even a new one that actually gets involved on the boards) is having a hard time finding birds in their traditional spots, I don't mind helping at all! I just don't want the guys that visit once or twice per year and hunt in groups of 50 to see a post directing them to any specific area. They can ask all they like, but they ain't gettin' coordinates like I'd give others.

Toad...I can totally relate...although I did my share of deer hunting when I was young....success was VERY limited lol my first deer my cousin gutted for me...then he also butchered it....I did help by handing him knives :thumbsup:

later on when I needed info on that subject...many people were helpful with their tricks and tips....everyone does it different I guess. Now just like anything else you can look it up on Youtube and theres 200 videos showing you how. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the good ole internet. lol

Youtube... :laugh:
The other night I watched about 50 minutes of a guy processing a deer start to finish. I think I will do the next one myself instead of paying the butcher, but I'll still have a knowledgeable neighbor come over, just for moral support. :laugh:

they are here & very active after i gave wayne some pics to post of my SD hunt & a few on-line scouters seen the pics & already left 3-4 PMs asking not for my honey holes or town but just a area to start or a town to start around wear i hunted??? they are crazy as hell 2-3 have never even posted a comment on the forums i swear!!! o comments posted but asking me for wear i hunted??? that takes nerve!!!

ok what do they think? i give them the towns i hunted & they look at the SD public land atlas & hunt the public lands near them towns? why would i give you that info??? just lazy lazy hunters looking for hand outs...

had a few guys who had poor hunts in SD PM me & ask the same type things is this town good is this town bad was i near here was i near there im sorry boys i will only give general info out unless you have shared info with me ETC. i still find it hard to direct people to specific public tracts of land & i would never do that on-line for on-line scouters to view even if there is more lands then you could ever hunt in what ever state its disrespectful to the people who already hunt the lands to just blab away public hunting areas... why not just give the people your private land contacts & address & let them hunt there??? i treat public lands the same as private no different many people thrash public lands & save private lands???

any way no free hand outs is the best way to keep these guys away... helping new hunters is 1 thing free hand out on wear to hunt is another...

As a young, new to upland, hunter I think there is room for both. There is a ton of information out there about access, private and public, provided by the state and it is very good. Use it! I do.

Outside of using that to find places to hunt, nothing beats boots on the ground or knocking on doors. I am new to this forum and really appreciate the help folks have provided. When I posted in the WI forum I had a "Where to hunt thread", but I was asking from a cover perspective as I have never chased pheasants before. I'm fully capable of looking up from the DNR where good pheasant habitat or release points are.

I make a list of places I want to hunt, and I go hunt them. Too many people want to get out of the truck and shoot there limit in less than 30 minutes. That's not what this is about for me. I like watching the dog work, getting some exercise, and seeing new places.

For all the time folks spend on here, and every other hunting forum on the net, you'd learn a whole lot more if you took a hike and scouted at your desired public access area, or burned some gas knocking on doors. It's not the easy answer, but it's the best answer and your hunts will show it.

While I'm not adverse to giving a bit of advice to strangers, some of these guys are just looking for the easy out. It's the trend of our society. Everything's at your finger tips. Need a new hunting coat, go on line, check a few different sites and order what you like, delivered to your door. So these guys don't even think about getting in the vehicle for a road trip to check it out up close and personal.

Toad: My dad and uncles taught me to gut out a deer. They were horrible at it. It took a long time and I ended up a bloody mess. I remember gutting one for my uncle in near zero temps, 13 years old, wind howling, bloody up to my armpits, then the blood freezing to my skin. Gawd, that was cold! I perfected my techniques with practice and now it takes 5 minutes and I've got very little blood past my wrists.

Same with butchering. We used to hire a local guy to come out to our place to cut them up. We'd skin, have the tables all set up. He brought his knives and went to work. My brothers gave me grief for the questions I asked of him, but now I do it on my own. From skinning to cutting the meat, seasoning before vacuum packing, to cleanup, I'm done in 2 hours, tops.

I don't ever begrudge someone asking a question, but after that there's no better way to learn than jumping in yourself to learn on the ground.

You want info on good hunting just follow the trucks that leave the tame pheasant farms on google earth:eek: Thats the hot hunting tip of the day:D

Old and new,

I to have helped a few people on this web sight and probable shouldn't have. I have started to back away from posting back to brand new members asking for hunt location info.
Great post and I hear you. I did see the posts you made and are talking about.:cheers:

You have not been here to long. I always enjoy your posts.

Last edited:
Thats a subject that has a simple answer. It is being overthink tanked by some I feel. This forum is information. It is help, chat, talk and fun. If someone wishes to ask for help, nothing wrong with that. If someone wishes to give help, nothing wrong with that. If someone wishes not to, fine. But then it is just an easy thing to not do so. No need to rip on those that do. It just becomes another stink bomb. Gets us involved when we don't want to be, and someone mad at a moderator or another user over nothing.. Just my 2 cents. If you want to help someone, by all means do so, if not then just don't. This is the greatest forum out there because of the core group conversing, sometimes disagreeing, sometimes agreeing. Sometimes we all have bad days, we are human. Lots get let slid. On the rare ocasion some things get deleted, lots doesn't that could. We do our best. Lets all try to do our best to keep this the best forum out there. Take care. FCS

Thats a subject that has a simple answer. It is being overthink tanked by some I feel. This forum is information. It is help, chat, talk and fun. If someone wishes to ask for help, nothing wrong with that. If someone wishes to give help, nothing wrong with that. If someone wishes not to, fine. But then it is just an easy thing to not do so. No need to rip on those that do. It just becomes another stink bomb. Gets us involved when we don't want to be, and someone mad at a moderator or another user over nothing.. Just my 2 cents. If you want to help someone, by all means do so, if not then just don't. This is the greatest forum out there because of the core group conversing, sometimes disagreeing, sometimes agreeing. Sometimes we all have bad days, we are human. Lots get let slid. On the rare ocasion some things get deleted, lots doesn't that could. We do our best. Lets all try to do our best to keep this the best forum out there. Take care. FCS

Well put FCS. I will do this to a point. It's my call not anyones else. Agreeing with you, but o and n does have a point.:)

hunting

while hunting may be lots to lots of people, like the thrill, company, seeing wild life, the outdoors, the list goes on but one of it's parts is hunting for a place to go and find it by yourself. most of us have most of the time. freebies lessen the hunt, i'll always give a direction if you need one but that my be a county not a gps location or a road intersection. go find a place on your own, you will enjoy it more in the end. i'ts called hunting by most of us

cheers

Guy came up last week to look at pups. Wanted to know where to hunt. Sent him to red rock wma. he shot 1 missed 1 and saw 4-5. He had a great time. I will go there and not be able to tell he was there and get my 2 this weekend.;). Some day He might call and say hey I saw 20 over here. What comes around goes around. We need to help people and get em out there or the antis win in the end. No hunting voters left to fight for the freedoms.;) I tell people where to go all the time. It affects me not at all.;) It's a big world. Like I said, if your a loose lips sink ships kinda guy, simpley refrain from posting. Simple. No argument in that.;)

Free Pass

If you violate the man code you should be put in check. Let's give everybody a participation pheasant tail just for logging on. If I had limited time and was going to go far away, I would seriously consider a Uguide or pay for access place If I wasn't interested about finding some basic relevant facts that could be attained in as little as one hour about my destination. If you are going to learn a spot it takes a few trips, an investment of your time. Unlike Obama care, most state DNR websites will help you out and actually function. I get your point about not being a bunch of rude haters on the computer. I guess this is the new way of doing business, lets coddle and nurture the poor helpless new guys or the sport will die. I've been hunting in ND, SD, and MT this year, and from the army in orange I've seen, I would be inclined to believe otherwise. Besides we don't even know who these first time posters are, maybe they are anti's looking for areas to sabotage. I saw an illegal alien screaming at the President last night on TV demanding to be legalized. Lets make him a citizen and give him some advice where to go hunting. It's the right thing to do. Maybe he will give us some good spots to go dove hunting in his country of origin. :D

Youtube... :laugh:
The other night I watched about 50 minutes of a guy processing a deer start to finish. I think I will do the next one myself instead of paying the butcher, but I'll still have a knowledgeable neighbor come over, just for moral support. :laugh:

Hey Toad,
I did the same thing last year and tried it. First deer was probably not the best, but after a couple it gets pretty darn easy. Got a grinder and sausage stuffer and I must say I can make some pretty good deer brats! It's a pretty rewarding experience, it'd say jump in and go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back