Indiana Illegal

HunterChick23

If I went hunting for pheasant, I would use a .22 caliber Ruger hunting rifle. Someone told me those were illegal. Are they right?

Someone from Indiana can confirm but I believe it is illegal to take a game bird on the ground and hitting a pheasant in the air with a .22 would be almost impossible (and very dangerous). Shotguns are the usual choice for hunting pheasant.

SHooting one on the ground is "illegal". I think of it as the bird doesn't have a fair chance. I will soon be taking a gun safety cours and getting my hunting license soon so I can ask them then.

There are no equipment or ammunition restrictions when hunting pheasants in Indiana. But it would be very irresponsible to shoot at a flying pheasant with a rifle.

See post above yours. Not only is it irresponsible it is also very DANGEROUS to other hunters and anyone else in the area.

Any rifle has a range that is farther than any shotgun. I would implore you to not use a .22 Rifle to hunt for any game birds! That bullet can travel over a mile with enough force to injure or cause property damage.

Don't do it.

What happens if the bird is ten or twenty yards away and you don't get a solid shot on it? Not only would you endanger other people or animals that could be around, but you would injure a bird.

I would be amazed if you actually hit a flying bird with a .22.

Back