In Pursuit of The King

FLDBRED

Well tomorrow marks the opening of another Pheasant Season and we've been ready for a while now. It's just something about this bird and this season that stirs unexplainable emotions in me. Not sure if it's the bird himself, the time of year, the places he calls home, the dogs that chase him, or all of those together. I do know there are very few things I look forward to as much.
We will will start out at some SGL's that receive released birds, then we will pursue some wild ringnecks on some properties that have outstanding habitat. Won't sleep much tonight as usual and will rise earlier then needed for sure.
Good luck to everyone and be safe in "Pursuit of The King" !

It's just something about this bird and this season that stirs unexplainable emotions in me. Not sure if it's the bird himself, the time of year, the places he calls home, the dogs that chase him, or all of those together.

My thoughts exactly and precisely the reason why he is my King.

Was out with the neighbor and we both got limits off solid points. I hope to get Connor out after football practice. Good luck and enjoy the fall!

The excitement of opening day never gets old and I hope it stays that way. Yea I could do without the crowds but that predawn feeling is much like the butterflies you get before a big game. We hunted a SGL's thats closer to home and had good early action and headed home. Chipper did a good this morning and we'll be hunting some special spots during the week, all in all a good day!

Very nice.
I did a quick afternoon hunt after work and got two birds. No time for pictures since the boys had football practice. It won’t be much longer until football is over and basketball and wrestling begins.

How were the number of hunters compared to the past several years?

I know all to well about the full schedule with young children ! lol. But enjoy it goes by in the blink of an eye.

Opening day was packed as was expected, but I was surprised to see as many hunters out today ! A lot of people must be buying the permit.

The birds we are getting are smaller than previous years, which is strange because the birds I saw released for the Youth Hunt were huge.

It’s a different type of pheasant now- Kansas Bluebacks which are supposed to be stronger flyers and a little smaller.

I took a day off work for next week. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Scout is having a good year and both dogs are loving life.

That makes sense, they do fly very well !

Good luck when you go !

We're having a great season, decided to try a new spot on the way home.

We're having a GREAT season, birds every time out and it's still real early! How about the rest of you guys?

Hope everyone doing well we're getting older but haven't slowed down to much. How ever took a little while to run these down today and we were both slowing down..lol The Second bird I shot was not the best shot and end up flying away as Drake tried to grab it in the brush pile but we stayed with it.. video below:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByVp4U-2ilg&t=81s

I've been wondering what you and Drake were up to ! Drake is still getting it done, give him an extra treat from me. Neat video, these birds are more explosive this year it seems, that or I'm just slowing down . lol.

A couple of birds from this mornings hunt. It's been an OUTSTANDING season so far, a big thank you to the PGC in their efforts .

It has been a good year. Was just out this morning and got two birds in less than an hour. I was the only one out there.

Back