I'm always in for a road hunting rodeošŸ¤ 

Bob Peters

Ok, so I really don't do it much where I drive around just looking, I'd rather be out walking and I have better luck that way anyhow. But I do keep my eyes peeled and when allowed, I always try and chase a pheasant that crossed the road. MN Sunday night lo and behold a rooster ran right across the road and into a wpa! Bingo. I parked and uncased the gun and let the dog loose. I had driven downwind about 50 yards. We ran in after him, and the dog got a little sniff but we never found him. Really light grass and very windy, I'm guessing he was moving at a fast clip and ran into a thicket or slough. Yesterday I was switching counties in Iowa, and drove by a new spot(to me). Suddenly two roosters run across the road!!! What do I do what do I do?! Don't know the lay of the land, but I put it in reverse until the rise hopefully covers me. Park, uncase gun, dog last and we creep up the road. There's of course an old gnarly fence, so I keep her close, we go down the deep ditch, birds aren't there. I lift the fence to let her under, then start to step over the fence, cross it and my feet are sliding downhill as I'm on a good incline. Simultaneously three birds flush just a cacklin' their heads off! I attempt a shot at one while my feet are surfing down the rise. Gun mount didn't cut the mustard, and I didn't cut a feather! Oh well it was neat to see anyways.

We were putting the sneak on a covey of huns on opener and nearly stepped on a rooster. We were so focused on the huns it got away without a scratch. 2 of us didn't even shoot and the 3rd guy basically threw a fu shot at it late. Otherwise it was a chip shot any other time. We did manage one hun though!

I can beat that. Was driving late afternoon in Illinois. Probably 300 birds cross he road in front of us head into alfalfa field. Slam on breaks back up, release 5 dogs, get guns and head out. Never saw a one. They just kept on booking to where ever it is they go! But very cool to see.

Watched 20 birds land in knee high grass as we are hunting a SD creek. They land within a 100 yards of us, 3 dogs and 4 guys tromped all over never to see a bird. Houdini could learn from them.

Back