Ice - SE/SC ND area

Fargo area picked up 2 inches of rain. That would have amounted to quite a bit of snow in a more normal winter (whatever normal is).

The largest impacts are in Stutsman county, with an estimated 9,286 customers affected by outages at this time, or just over 73%. An estimated 46% of customers in LaMoure and Foster counties are also without power. Other counties with significant outages include Barnes, Logan, Ransom, and Pierce Counties.

What will the impact on next years birds be from this? I assume that even thick sloughs can't protect them from freezing rain / ice.

What will the impact on next years birds be from this? I assume that even thick sloughs can't protect them from freezing rain / ice.
We had bad ice storm in SD in 2005..20,000 power poles went down…mid-Nov…birds were OK, may not be the
case in ND…dunno

Here is a map of the ice in ND. Note that Veblen, SD (noted by Mutthut) was bullseye for the worst ice buildup, but that SD bullseye was small compared to ND. Much of SE ND received 2"-4" of rain.

1704335231898.png

Fortunately there was very little snow on the ground prior to the ice storm and it was around 30 & sunny for a couple days after it so it should have loosened up a bit. I wouldn't expect this alone to be a big killer.

Agree. It is when ice crusts over everything and then the temps drop sub-zero for week(s) that are true wildlife killers.

Valley City on December 26th. I hit the rain, 28 degrees and blowing in the 30's and gusting into the 50's on Christmas day. Decided to stop at the Loves and spend the night.

20231226_081633.jpg

Back