I think at this point the only question is will they renest

I was in Mitchell this morning when the storms formed up--it was really NASTY looking to the point I cut my trip short and left town just ahead of the storm--it had that old blue/green HAIL look to it and golf ball sized hail was reported just north of town, near the highway 37 and 34 junction. Will just have to wait and see how things turn out--gotta say it but we had those conditions here in the Platte area 3 yrs ago and we are still recovering from it. :(

Last edited:
It is not like that all over the state. We get rain but not big rains. I feel for the areas that are getting hit but much of the state is in good shape.

Well I guess I will just have to do some driving when I come home this fall!!. Just feel for the farmers I grew up with back home, last fall I saw alot of hens and was hopeful for this upcoming year. Now Im not even sure the adults survived some of the storms where I hunt.

Oh no it rained in South Dakota in the spring time. I have hunted pheasant for 50 yes 50 years. Believe me there is always something to worry about. To much rain, to little, to hot , to cold, loss of crp, ethanol driving destruction of the prairie, late crops , to many predators and a lot of other things I have worried about in the past . If you hunt a place that has good habitat you well probably do OK. There are good years and bad years in pheasant hunting or for that matter any kind of hunting. Relax and roll with the punches. If you want to kill go to the Carr farm or some other preserve and shoot away. But for me hunting wild pheasants in good or bad years is the best.:cheers:

Oh no it rained in South Dakota in the spring time. I have hunted pheasant for 50 yes 50 years. Believe me there is always something to worry about. To much rain, to little, to hot , to cold, loss of crp, ethanol driving destruction of the prairie, late crops , to many predators and a lot of other things I have worried about in the past . If you hunt a place that has good habitat you well probably do OK. There are good years and bad years in pheasant hunting or for that matter any kind of hunting. Relax and roll with the punches. If you want to kill go to the Carr farm or some other preserve and shoot away. But for me hunting wild pheasants in good or bad years is the best.:cheers:

Well said Chip! I'm with ya! Only 121 days 20 hours 42 minutes and 38 seconds before I leave my office for 5 days of bliss!!!

LOL your not looking forward to this trip are you. LOL :D

Why? Could you tell!?! ;) At the office I have a desktop Count Down Clock that is always reminding of how long to go. Under 100 days is usually a pretty big deal and my colleagues have to hear about it. This will be my 6th year going to SD (7th year upland hunting) and it's gets better each time!

Getting back to the question at hand will the hens renest . The hens in SD have low morals. They will use any excuse to hook up with Mr Rooster.

If there's plenty of good woody cover Spring rains are of little problem, especially if the temps are mild.
Flooding and hail, could be a problem there. No doubt some loss and some making it.
For those hens losing nests, starting over will be about Aug 1st hatching. 2 1/2 months for the chicks to grow and the roosters get some color. Not at all unusual during that first week of season to have birds with very little color.
Those hens that had broods and lost them will not likely have time to renest.

OMG in forgot the number 1 thing I worried about

A few years ago we were worried about catching bird flu because I guess some people in China contracted the disease from chickens. I think we can all see the connection there. Anyway I was really worried. So if the pheasants every have this issue I'm all set with my hunter orange hazmat suit.:p

Back