i need some good advice

peterpointinglab

Yesterday i went to the game farm withmy 1.5 yr old lab. the first 5 birds went great! bird six my dog picked up sent in the corn, flash pointed and then bolted (chased) the bird out the end of the corn, flushing him out of gun range. I nicked him with the collar and whistle but this did not stop him. When he returned he was met with a firm hand and immediately removed from the field to the truck. Did i do the right thing? and what can i do to pevent this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well ?

Well the first thing don't hit the dog it was most likely just super excited and your hands should remind him of praise and love and not fear. Second the dog did do a good job for the most part. If I were you I would put a 30 ft. check cord on the dog and let it run if it gets out of hand grab the cord. Third I would work with the dog on the come command and make sure he knows it very, very well. Last and final thing I would work with the collor and use the tone or vibrate as siginal to the the dog to come. Due not punish the dog with the collar. Dogs get good through lots and lots of field time and training and all dogs have good and bad days. So the old saying is true practice makes perfect and it applies to dogs also. Good Luck:)

It happens. Pheasants running in corn is not conducive to good dog work and a young dog especially will be tempted.

That said, punishing the dog when he comes back to you can have negative consequences. If you can't stop the dog with the ecollar (providing he knows why he is being stimulated) then your basic obedience or his understanding of why he's being stimulated, is not quite there yet IMO. You would have been better off not losing your cool and just putting the dog up as if nothing happened.

He's a young dog, excited and full of energy and is only doing what comes natural. You need to teach him a stop command and ingrain it in him such as "HUP", "Whoa" whatever, till you can catch up. Us pointer guys use the "Whoa" command for this. I've seen where guys will use a whistle toot to stop the dog as well. Point being, you need a method to stop him in his tracks.

The Cover type will also dictate a lot of how the dogs works and corn is a Pheasant running nightmare....

Last edited:
I have never worked with a pointing Lab But if you want him steady this does work I even did it on our Boxer before the pointer because I didn't want to mess up the good dog.
3rd video down (Teaching Whoa)

http://www.gundogmag.com/video/

Thanks birdshooter. I think its just the fact that i have spent so much time training and im more dissapointed in myself than anything the dog did. I hope that this doesnt create any more problems and we can both move on as it were a fluke. We took the day off today and did some simple obedience and mark training. I want to get back in the field and get some positive vibes goin.

Back