Hypoallergenic Hunting Dog?

Chuckles

Hey Guys,

I am 26 and recently married. I want to get a hunting dog but my wife is allergic to dogs. Does anyone know of any good pheasant hunting dogs (preferably pointers) with minimal dander? I need some help here!

Thanks

Chuck

I went through this process a few years back. I think the only dog I remember that I came up with is the American Water Spaniel. With that being said, I am/was allergic to both cats and dogs and have had both. With my cat allergies, the longer I had the cat, the worse it got. With the dog allergies, my allergies were noticeable when we got the puppy (black lab) and then gradually went away. I'm on my second dog now and wouldn't consider myself allergic to dogs anymore. It probably depends on how severe your wife's allergies as to whether you want to try to go down that path. We brushed the lab pretty regularly and kept her off furniture and I'm sure that helped too.

Edit: actually just looked through a list - check out wirehaired pointing griffon too.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I am 26 and recently married. I want to get a hunting dog but my wife is allergic to dogs. Does anyone know of any good pheasant hunting dogs (preferably pointers) with minimal dander? I need some help here!
Thanks
Chuck

Dont let anybody (ie so-called "breeders") kid ya- there aint no such thing as a "hypoallergenic dog". Labradoodle or any other weirdoo designer mutt. The allergens are in the superficial layers of the skin (ie dander)and all dogs have them.

Regular bathing and grooming will help, but not eliminate dander.

NB

Dont let anybody (ie so-called "breeders") kid ya- there aint no such thing as a "hypoallergenic dog". Labradoodle or any other weirdoo designer mutt. The allergens are in the superficial layers of the skin (ie dander)and all dogs have them.

Regular bathing and grooming will help, but not eliminate dander.

NB

I agree with NB there is on such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, you might want to look for a dog that doesn't shed as much, such as a Pudelpointer, wired hair griffon or a german wired hair.

I agree, but some will clearly have less then others. Even within each breed. No different then a human with dandruff problems. Great diet that works well for the dog, Aloe shampoo, regular brushing and or trimming as MJ said all help. Just hope you get one with a great shiny coat without a skin problem. It does seem that some of these designer breeds do have less dander though, but not all have less. There may be some merit to the claims but I doub't it is 100% true. I would seek out people with similar trouble that have taken that path and form a educated guess. Good luck, hope you can find a way to get your self a dog.

Anullment; then get the dog...:p...just kidding! Good luck with your search. I do have a buddy that has a wirehair and his daughter is allergic to dogs. She seems to do fine but dog is kept outside. I do see her playing with the dog, but only outside.

One more thing I remembered... look for a food that has a higher level of linoleic acid. That seems to keep the coat nice and shiny and cut down on the shedding a bit.

I tend to agree with Natty tho get many calls as a Pudelpointer breeder from people with allergies. I do not gaurentee that my pups are non-allergenic, but I do know I sold one to an allergenic party and he has had no problems with the dog in the house, his bedroom and on his lap.
Note: Pudelpointers are not "designer" dogs, the breeding being highly selective for about 150 years now. I do not have a litter now, but can recommend a breeder in Ohio who has some well bred pups, male and female.

One more thing I remembered... look for a food that has a higher level of linoleic acid. That seems to keep the coat nice and shiny and cut down on the shedding a bit.

I have heard of people giving fish oil with omega 3 to their dogs works pretty good also.

NB nailed it.

That said, don't rule out the possibility of a dog. Cats are WAY more allergenic than dogs. Your family may be able to tolerate a dog.

Desensitization shots through your dermatologist might be an option.

How about a poodle?

Thanks for all the help!

Does anyone have experience with a Brittany? We went to meet a breeder but my wife did have an allergic reaction. I understand that diet and grooming can make a big difference. Does anyone have experience with a brittany and someone who is allergic?

Back