Huron, SD

Bird Buster

Anyone hunt the Huron area? I am planning on coming up there for my first SD hunt was wondering about opinions on around there for public hunting. I have a british lab myself that loves to hunt. Thanks

Hunted the area many times. That area gets hammered on public. If I were you I’d plan on hitting public areas a ways away. That is what my group did. For better opportunities try and find so private at least for a day

Stayed there last year and hunted in the general vicinity for 3 days all on public land. I think that whole north-south corridor from Aberdeen to Mitchell gets hunted pretty hard. We found birds every time we got out of the truck, and had a great time. Competition from other hunters wasn't too bad, frankly a little lower than I expected for late October. We saw more birds in those three days than I saw in probably 15 days of hunting Kansas. Despite my positive comments don't assume that we killed our limit or even close to it. Many of the birds we saw were in the ditches and the fields on private land.

I'm not sure what Chip means by "a ways away", but most of the spots we hunted were 30+ miles away, some even 60.

Maybe the best thing I can say is that we're going back this year...

We’ve hunted that area for years - some of our best areas when we first started going, we no longer hunt - point being, be flexible and do your homework - don’t dwell on a good looking spot - unless you’re seeing good bird numbers - snow is such a great advantage - bird tracks! The more time you can scout - the better. Amazing how our spots have changed thru the years - it took us a few years to familiarize ourselves with the area - back when the public hunting atlas didn’t have road numbers - boy could that be fun🤣
We’ve had our share of “tough” days - that said, if you put your time in, you’ll get into birds
Matto’s post is spot on
Good luck!

Reports are that there will be zero birds within 50 miles of Huron this fall, that giant pheasant might be the only one you see! I would avoid the area (especially the first week in November and another week TBD in December). Also very little public land around.. and rattlesnakes, and lots of them.
Ha reverse psychology doesn't work on me though. You must live there I take it. If so you are lucky and I understand.

I think anything east river and west of I-29 is good for pheasants. I think asking about hunting Huron is the same as asking about hunting Mitchell, Aberdeen, Redfield, etc. It's all worth a shot. Good luck out there.
Well this is my first year coming to SD so give me a break would ya? Didn't kill a bird in Nebraska or Kansas last year due to the drought in both areas. Want to try SD while my dog is young enough still to get around well. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Anyone hunt the Huron area? I am planning on coming up there for my first SD hunt was wondering about opinions on around there for public hunting. I have a british lab myself that loves to hunt. Thanks
Well this is my first year coming to SD so give me a break would ya? Didn't kill a bird in Nebraska or Kansas last year due to the drought in both areas. Want to try SD while my dog is young enough still to get around well. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
OK my 2 cents....

Been going to Huron for 28 years, at least once a year, if I'm lucky 3-4 times per year.

My best advise --

1. Do not go opening week, unless you like crowds, maybe 90-degree heat, long lines at restaurants, getting beat to public areas before shooting hours, rude other hunters that try to hunt the public you are already hunting. If you like looking at private jets in the airport, then first week is loaded.

2. Farmers are too busy then with crops to talk, and their out-of-town family members are hunting their land, so getting onto private land is very difficult. Later in the season the farm work slows down.

3. Depending on the year, crops may not have harvested which makes the number of birds you see reduced.

4. If when you go is flexible, check the weather. Heat, wind, rain and snow can make for a lousy trip. I like to go in November, December and January.

5. January is my favorite if the weather is manageable, and I can get there. In January the motels and restaurants are empty, locals have time to talk and maybe hunt with you. Crops are in, good cover is less available, birds typically are bunched up and have had reduced pressure.

6. https://gfp.sd.gov/hunt/ website has loads of good information - study the maps, harvest data, call PF or state sdgfp rep in the areas you are looking to visit. My experience with them is they are eager to help, will talk to you and have on the ground knowledge.

7. Get the SD Public Hunting Atlas. Get OnX and/or Google maps. For road conditions, check SD511. Nothing better though than being there.

8. Call the city of Huron Tourism office. Pheasants are big business in Huron, they will be eager to help you.

About Huron and hunting--

Some of the best people on the planet.
Small town, but with everything you could need.
Actual bird numbers fluctuate, but in 28 years I've always found decent numbers and opportunities.

Finally, go.

You will be glad you did. PM me for specific information.

OK my 2 cents....

Been going to Huron for 28 years, at least once a year, if I'm lucky 3-4 times per year.

My best advise --

1. Do not go opening week, unless you like crowds, maybe 90-degree heat, long lines at restaurants, getting beat to public areas before shooting hours, rude other hunters that try to hunt the public you are already hunting. If you like looking at private jets in the airport, then first week is loaded.

2. Farmers are too busy then with crops to talk, and their out-of-town family members are hunting their land, so getting onto private land is very difficult. Later in the season the farm work slows down.

3. Depending on the year, crops may not have harvested which makes the number of birds you see reduced.

4. If when you go is flexible, check the weather. Heat, wind, rain and snow can make for a lousy trip. I like to go in November, December and January.

5. January is my favorite if the weather is manageable, and I can get there. In January the motels and restaurants are empty, locals have time to talk and maybe hunt with you. Crops are in, good cover is less available, birds typically are bunched up and have had reduced pressure.

6. https://gfp.sd.gov/hunt/ website has loads of good information - study the maps, harvest data, call PF or state sdgfp rep in the areas you are looking to visit. My experience with them is they are eager to help, will talk to you and have on the ground knowledge.

7. Get the SD Public Hunting Atlas. Get OnX and/or Google maps. For road conditions, check SD511. Nothing better though than being there.

8. Call the city of Huron Tourism office. Pheasants are big business in Huron, they will be eager to help you.

About Huron and hunting--

Some of the best people on the planet.
Small town, but with everything you could need.
Actual bird numbers fluctuate, but in 28 years I've always found decent numbers and opportunities.

Finally, go.

You will be glad you did. PM me for specific information.
Thanks for a well written post, I am coming in November to avoid the October madness. Been hunting birds for 30+ years so yes I am aware of most of the stuff you mentioned. I have just done so poorly the past few years in NE and KS don't think I have even shot a couple boxes of shells. Would like to get my dog on more birds while she is able.

I'll through my 2 cents in the hat too. It has been my experience that if you find good looking habitat, you will find birds. It has not mattered where I have gone in the SD. I will preface that with it does matter when you go. I used to go first or second week of November. I have since moved that back to first week of December. Several reasons that have been pointed out above by others. Here they are again. 1. Crops are in/harvested. 2. Birds begin to cluster due to limited good cover and colder weather. 3. Family and friends have come and gone. 4. Crowds are gone. I rarely even see another hunter but I am not going to any of the areas mentioned above. I hunt in the East river south central part of the state now. Good luck and don't forget the ditches and minimum maintenance areas. That is what we target.

Reports are that there will be zero birds within 50 miles of Huron this fall, that giant pheasant might be the only one you see! I would avoid the area (especially the first week in November and another week TBD in December). Also very little public land around.. and rattlesnakes, and lots of them.
You forgot the multiple packs of Wolves and 4 or 5 family units of mountain lions.

Also the local law will "confiscate" beer other then PBR.

I may have lost my mind. I thought spring planting = crops in, and fall harvest = crops out. Please tell me if I've had this wrong forever.

I may have lost my mind. I thought spring planting = crops in, and fall harvest = crops out. Please tell me if I've had this wrong forever.
Maybe some refer to crops being “in” equating to being in the bin, harvested…I’ve heard farmers reference that, but I get your phrasing as well.

Back