Hunting reports from youth hunt

Chocolabguy

Anyone take a kid, or kids, out for the youth season last weekend? Just curious about what was actually seen or not seen in the field.

Took my 16 year old granddaughter onher first S.D. youth hunt this weekend. Hunted NE of Aberdeen on Saturday. Saw about 20 birds but was 83 degrees and to hot for us and dogs.Sunday about same number of birds and she had limit by 2:30, awesome. I guess high school trap really helped. Working beans hard now so way to much cover. Lots of hawks.saw mostly young birds .

Was out for youth hunt. More than ample shots presented themselves, but kid reaction times and shooting were not up to the task. Was surprised how jumpy the birds were - not holding tight like early season last year. Still got a few birds in the freezer and kids learned a few lessons.

Numbers definitely seem way down and little cover to hunt. Everything is very green but very short and thin. Will need to see crops out to truly judge, but plan on putting on a lot of miles this year.

19th year hunting 6700 acres of private family ground near Eureka. Took my two boys out to shoot roosters and fill rifle doe tags. Farmers just starting on the beans. Hunted all of the normal spots...grass, shelter belts and dried up sloughs. Bird numbers were dismal at best which was to be expected after talking with family. By no means am I saying don't go but expect very poor bird numbers. My boys shot 3 roosters in 2.5 days of hunting. Typically see hundreds, this trip we saw no more than 60 total. Both doe tags were filled, lots and lots of deer.

Brought friends son out around Pierre on Premium Pheasant ground. Saw birds and had fun but bird numbers are way, way down from last year for sure around Pierre. Was just way to hot and dry in June and July. Grass conditions are terrible and anything that could be hayed was. Lot less cover to hunt then years past.

Back