Hunting out by Revillo

Bob Peters

I got a buddy who does an annual hunt out of Revillo. He goes there because they got family and hunt the farm and a few public spots. Lots and lots of hens he said. There was a lot of hens by canby when we hunted there a week ago. Is there a reason some of these areas seem to have so many more hens than roosters? I've hunted a lot in far southern MN and iowa this year and it seems more even split between sexes, or in some areas even a lot more roosters than hens.

I was out today with a friend and we saw the same thing. We first ran into two different bunches of hens. No roosters. Then towards the end of our hunt in a small drainage we found a group of about 6-7 roosters. We did harvest two out of that group.

It's been my experience that roosters sometimes hang out in different cover than hens, especially 2nd year roosters, & especially mid-day in warm weather (on or near edges of sloughs/ponds/lakes), & on very windy days. Seeing lots of hens is a great sign, because it means somewhere nearby are probably at least 1/3 that many roosters. Just a matter of finding them.

Last edited:
Back