Hunting Grand River Grasslands

PcolaGSP

Hey guys. Buddy wants to go over and hunt Grand River for sharpies and huns this coming season. He's thinking either week of Oct 23rd, or week of Thanksgiving. We both have houses in Spink county East River, so maybe 4-5 hour drive from our place there. Only thinking of later dates due to concerns about snakes. I only hunted there years ago a couple times and never saw any snakes, but he is concerned. Any advice about best dates, snakes, bird numbers and all other help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me. Me and dogs are hot in Florida now (75* today) so missing SD! Also I guess hotel in Lemmon or cabin at Shadehill only places to stay? Thanks, Tony

Last edited:
I have stayed at Shadehill the last 2 yrs. while pheasant hunting west river. From what I saw, staying there or the motel in Lemmon are your only options. We were there the second week in Nov. both times and did not encounter any snakes. We only hunted the state /public grounds at Shadehill for a couple of days and only saw a few pheasant and sharpies. Don't know what the hunting is like on the Grand River Grasslands.

Thanks Lefty. Will probably try to get hotel rooms in Lemmon. Checked Shadehill site & don't think they allow dogs in cabins.

Back