hunting during deer season?

rascal

in recent years in my travels to Kansas.....I've done most of my hunting in mid December and middle to end of January. I don't remember if I've ever been there during the gun deer season....I've never seen a deer hunter anywhere I've hunted. as I sit here trying to make plans for this season....I see that one of the weeks I planned on was during deer firearm season....I'm thinking that is NOT a good idea? any thoughts?

I have hunted many times during the deer season and had no problems but I had all private land to hunt on. I always made sure I had plenty of orange on and hunted more in open areas and stayed out of the trees. Just use common sense and you should be OK.

zeepo

I've never had a problem. One of the only times I wear orange to hunt, vest the dogs in orange and keep a lookout to not ruin anyone's hunt. Did observe some folks rounding up deer in a field in a truck only to fire in our general direction - called the warden on those folks.

Buy a deer tag and shoot one of those. Way more meat than a quail, and nobody around here will miss it. :cheers:

I generally go WAY West to bird hunt during deer season. Where the land gets very flat and you can see for a few miles... I'm sure you would be fine hunting anywhere, but I just feel more comfortable out there during rifle season.

Too many hills and blind spots where you usually hunt Rascal....for me anyway. Incorporating some commonsense, as another poster above mentioned, will improve your chances of a safe hunt (like hunting wheat stubble and other areas no deer hunters will be interested in). And like Toad said, I'd feel even better in W KS where it is flat and I can see for miles. My biggest concern is my GSP ranging too far and running across the wrong guy with a rifle...

Too many hills and blind spots where you usually hunt Rascal....for me anyway. Incorporating some commonsense, as another poster above mentioned, will improve your chances of a safe hunt (like hunting wheat stubble and other areas no deer hunters will be interested in). And like Toad said, I'd feel even better in W KS where it is flat and I can see for miles. My biggest concern is my GSP ranging too far and running across the wrong guy with a rifle...

That would be my biggest worry. Some jackwagon killing your dog for messing up his deer hunt.

That would be my biggest worry. Some jackwagon killing your dog for messing up his deer hunt.

Yup. As I said above, my dogs are in orange vests during the "main" rifle season for deer. I will be hunting with friends in Missouri the first weekend of deer season in Kansas. Might hunt some stuff "back home" the second weekend if the guys that deer hunt it have taken their deer.

I always wear blaze orange and never give it a second thought. But I am hunting mostly private. If you go to a walk-in that has whitetail habitat and you see a vehicle but no walking bird hunters, might be a rifleman in there.

Deer season

I don't have any private land to hunt so I plan my hunts to stay out of the field where deer season is open. Missouri is open the last 2 wks of Nov. so I hunt Ks. Ks. is open the first 2 wks of. Dec. so I hunt Mo.

This comes up almost every year. Like others have said, watch for single trucks without visible hunters, make sure you have some orange on, and, if you're hunting WIHA, remember that they have as much right to be there as you do. Most of my spots are far enough west that I don't really worry about it much.

On the other hand, on opening weekend I saw two decent bucks on WIHA spots that I wouldn't have considered for deer hunting. Not a lot of places to h ang a stand though... There were birds there too...

I fluctuate on how I feel about this topic. I've had problems several times with deer hunters trying to use me and the dogs as their flushers. I head to the nearest road and leave when that happens. I do make mental notes of trucks in the area, how they drive by, and if they turn around and make additional passes. I tend to select WIHA's that don't favor deer, if there's any that don't. I like to go to the ones not open for rifle deer season. Anyway, plenty of orange, avoid dim light hours, and don't wear brown or white.......

I hunt primarily in the Flint Hills region....not the wide open spaces of the western part of the state....hunt a lot of walk in areas....I guess if I'm there at that time I will try to avoid spots I think someone is hunting near....not sure when I will be going...just depends on the weather. The lack of quail I'm finding at home in IL this year is making me want to travel more to KS

I'm always aware of the seasons, but feel pretty confident on some properties I hunt so deer season doesn't matter. Other properties I just avoid -- don't need the worries -- it's only a couple weeks each year. The biggest challenge is deciphering when the friggin MO/KS rifle seasons are in an area.

I have hunted ot many times without problems on both private and public stuff. I always wear orange regardless of season. In my opinion much of what I call good bird habitat likely holds very few good deer after a month of bird hunting. I have only had one bad experience with someone during deer season and it was a NON hunter sticking his nose where it didnt belong doing his best to try to mess up a hunt. He rented a small house on a friends land and felt he had rights to allow or disallow hunting on the whole farm which he certainly did not. I wouldnt let deer season stop you from going.

Have hunted the flint hills several times during deer gun season. We have had deer hunters stop and ask us if we minded if they got on the other side of the property while our dogs ran . I didnt care. I have seen VERY FEW deer hunters actually out of their vehicle hunting. They mostly ride , glass and stalk. Ks Deer season isnt quite the free for all ive seen in other states. Have had deer hunters stop and tell us where they saw a covey cross the road. We have flagged them down and showed them where we saw a decent buck on a WIHA access map. I believe in good karma!

Troutman, not judging but I'm just curious why deer season is one of the only times you wear orange to hunt. I always wear orange when bird hunting. Just thought it would be interesting to hear your logic on this. Thanks.

Back