Hunting boots

Remtech

Hi, all
I am thinking about getting new hunting boots because mine are pretty heavy so that is why I want to switch has anyone ever used these boots Danner? 8" Pronghorn 1200-Gram Realtree XTRA? Hunting Boots.

Thanks
Remtech

I use the 400-gram for the last two pairs of boots I have. I found them very comfortable to wear all day. They keep my feet dry and are fairly light weight for my size 13 feet. I use aqua seal on the stitching as most of the stuff I walk for pheasants is pretty rough on the stitches. I have had other brands do the same. I have been thinking about buying the heavier pair for deer and late season hunting. The only drawback I can see is if you're going for lighter weight the 1200 would be fairly heavy as the more insulation you have the heavier and stiffer your boot will be.

What kind of hunting? Boots for all hunting? Just for pheasants? Hilly terrain or generally flat? Lots of water,sloughs?

I've settled on hiking boots with a low gaiter for pheasant hunting in SD. This arrangement probably wouldn't work for deer hunting or cold weather, but it's worked for me. Hiking boots are very light-weight; I don't wear insulated boots...

Everyone on this site will have an opinion!

How much walking do you plan on doing? 1200grams is a fair amount of insulation. For Big Game I switched over to hiking boots years ago, I found them to be generally built better and more comfortable. Last year I bought a pair of Irish Setter Wing Shooters, I don't think I'll be buying another pair. I could be just the set I got, but boy did they stretch out. They started out incredible, tons of support and very comfortable. But after a couple trips there almost useless. They stretched so much I can over lap the uppers, so I can never get them tight enough.

Last year I bought a pair of Irish Setter Wing Shooters, I don't think I'll be buying another pair. I could be just the set I got, but boy did they stretch out. They started out incredible, tons of support and very comfortable. But after a couple trips there almost useless. They stretched so much I can over lap the uppers, so I can never get them tight enough.

Was that kangaroo leather? Just curious.

Sorry to barge in, but I'm thinking of going the "hiking" boot route this year. Any suggestions on good brands that offer good traction, ankle support, and are actually waterproof?? Thank you for the Ahnu link. They look like a possibility.

I am currently wearing the IS Wingshooters and they lack traction and extended waterproof wear. My old cabelas "danner copies" were good boots offering me all of the above and have worked for years.....probably why they discontinued them.

Well see this is why i am looking at 1200 gram boots being from Wisconsin and i hunt in to late December i also end up hunting alot of waterfowl production areas and marshes

I can understand 1200 gram in WI December. Curious, but the guys wearing low rise hiking boots pheasant hunting? Don't you get a lot of crap into your ankles? A lot of days I wear Merrell boots and that's a problem running my dog. 30 minutes in the field and I'm emptying them out from all the stickers, dead grass pieces, seeds, etc., scratching away. They make some really comfortable, lightweight, non-insulated hunting boots these days. Also, I need the ankle support of a full 8" boot. Too many times I've had my ankles saved by good support boots stepping into a hole. I wouldn't hunt with my hiking boots. No way.

Ranger Rick: Try low gaiters with your hiking boots - they work great. If you hunt in snow as I do, switch to the higher gaiter.

Well see this is why i am looking at 1200 gram boots being from Wisconsin and i hunt in to late December i also end up hunting alot of waterfowl production areas and marshes

I hear ya! For deer hunting in northern WI, I wear Irish Setters that are 2000 gram (poor circulation to the feet/hands). (Don't ask the weight. I don't care. I'm just tired of cold feet :D)

Guy From MN

I hunt in MN in December and still go with hiking boots. I can always add some socks if absolutely necessary but I've never had the occasion while pheasant hunting.

You can always add insulation but you can't take it away.

I have a pair of heavy boots for deer hunting and ice fishing. Both activities are relatively low impact on the boot so no need to break the bank with that purchase.

I hear ya! For deer hunting in northern WI, I wear Irish Setters that are 2000 gram (poor circulation to the feet/hands). (Don't ask the weight. I don't care. I'm just tired of cold feet :D)

My feet get cold too easily. I love the invention of the throwaway hand and toes warmers. Still wear a 20 year old pair of LaCrosse Iceman for deer hunting, ice fishing, etc., but would like a lighter boot that's easier to walk in. Do you have the 2000 gr Snow Claw? how are they for walking, with snow shoes, etc.?

My feet get cold too easily. I love the invention of the throwaway hand and toes warmers. Still wear a 20 year old pair of LaCrosse Iceman for deer hunting, ice fishing, etc., but would like a lighter boot that's easier to walk in. Do you have the 2000 gr Snow Claw? how are they for walking, with snow shoes, etc.?

I'm not 100% sure what model I have, but the Snow Claw looks identical to mine. I like them for walking. We normally drive the woods when deer hunting and that's the majority of the use that they get. I do wear them when playing in the snow with the kids as well. I haven't used them for snow shoeing or anything like that. Definitely the best hunting boots I've owned. (2-3 pairs of Cabela's brand and also regular brown Sorel's).

Back