Hunter harassment walking road right of ways...

It really sounds like he was trying to make you uncomfortable enough not to come back.
I had something similar with local hunters trying to scare us off. My son, a friend and I were coming down a dirt section line in a truck with Utah plates. We were waived down by 2 hunters (local plates on truck) and told "they controlled the land on either side of the section line and we needed to turn around as they were hunting here, we needed to leave" and were pretty obstinate about it.
It didn't end well for them though, the friend with me is a state game warden (different district), the land they "controlled", was mine

I've never had this problem.

I have had farmers come out and talk my ear off. Many times, I've had guys stop and ask if I need a ride. I've been told walking is not how you road hunt. I never had a bad experience.

I'm not sure how I would react if I was abused like that for doing nothing wrong.
Besides him telling me we couldn't do the legal thing we were doing he added "you should leave because we're crazy here" a not so subtle threat.
I would apologize and state that I must have misunderstood the law, and ask him to correct me…then offer to call the CO to provide the correct interpretation…tell him you assume he knows the local CO or sheriff and you’d be happy to visit with that party….I wouldn’t be a dick, I’d be an asskisser and beg for a LEO come out and tell us all what is or isn’t allowed.
That's what my sons wanted to do but I didn't want to waste the last few hours of the day waiting for a CO.

Some years ago I was up by Aberdeen in December. We were on 14 heading south. It was getting late in the day on a Sunday. We were already limited and done hunting. We passed slowly by a tree belt and were marveling at all the birds on the road and in the ditch. We were rolling slowly and eventually came to a stop near a small house that was probably 50-60 yards beyond the ditch. All of a sudden this guy comes flying out of the house screaming at us that we couldn’t hunt there. He appeared drunk and promptly face planted trying to get over the fence. I was laughing so hard it was hard to drive. I would imagine there were several hundred birds around his house. I can’t imagine what he put up with during the season. Obviously he was over it. I am not much of a road hunter. Growing up in Kansas where it isn’t legal, I always felt like I was doing something wrong.

In my opinion ditches are dangerous to hunt. Between the barbed wire fences and the cars flying up and down the road it’s not worth it from my perspective.

I hunted fort Pierre grasslands a few years ago and have never in my life come across so many rude people. Seemed like everyone around there was that way.

The western part of the state (the only other part of the state I’ve spent any time in) seem about as nice of people as anywhere. Talking about the sturgis area and surrounding.

I've never ditch hunted, just because it's not legal here, so it just felt uncomfortable for me. My buddy and I were in southern Iowa. We came back to the motel beat down tired with less than a stellar bag. We're sitting on the ends of our beds having a beer when we hear this pounding sound coming from the bird cleaning shed. Finaly, we get curious and walk over to the shed. There were two guys backed up to the shed in an old Honda civic with the trunk open. The pounding noise was them chopping off wings and feet with hatchets. I said looks like you guys did pretty good. The older guy said yeah, we usually fill. These two guys had been ditch hunting from ST. Paul to southern Iowa! The older guy said that the younger guy didn't hunt but liked to drive, so it worked out pretty good because he got to shoot his birds also! We went back to the room and cracked another beer. I said what do you think about that? My buddy said when he got back home, he was going to trade his truck and dogs for a civic. LMAO.. To this day when we kill the limit inevitably, one of us is going to say, hey you filled today!! Always gets a chuckle!!

Back