Hunt Suggestions for a NR

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
Hey all,

Planning my first out of state hunt trip ever. I'm coming up from Kansas to get an early start on the season. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for any specifics, but obviously looking for reasonable access to land, in an area where bird numbers are good. Is the NW quadrant of the state a good start? Worried about getting the pup lots of bird contact more than anything. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Brian

Out of state Hunt

Brian,

I don't know about NW Iowa but I can tell you that NC Iowa has some pretty good Public Hunting. Butler, Cerro-Gordo, Franklin, Hancock, Winnebago & Wright counties would be a good place to look at. My advice is to purchase an Iowa Hunting Atlas. Just google it and you will be able to find one. It looks like numbers will be higher this year than last and last year they were pretty good. If you decide to come this way let me know and I can get more specific about where to go.

Brian - I just moved to Iowa from Kansas last fall. I used to live in Overland Park and hunted a bit in NE KS but never did much west of Manhattan. Where are you coming from? At any rate, keep an eye out for the IA DNR bird count numbers that should be coming out in the next couple of weeks. That should give you a "general" idea of bird numbers by region.

That said, there are birds in all parts of the state but certainly some areas are better than others. In general, I would stay away from any areas East of Iowa City, you just make things more difficult by heading that way. The NW quadrant, like you mentioned, is a very good target area. And, there are good numbers of public acres there as well.

Not sure when you were planning on your hunt but I would definitely wait until after the first two weeks of the season and if possible, try and hunt mid week; not the weekends. You will have a much more enjoyable hunt waiting till mid November.

Don't overlook the IHAP acres that are now open to hunting in Iowa. There are some very good and often overlooked pieces of land in that program.

Good luck and enjoy our fine state while you are here!

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I plan on looking at the atlas for walk in prior to heading up. I'm going to head up mid-week after the opener. Any later and I can just hunt KS for free (since I already have a license). Just looking to get these dogs on birds. I'll be training with live birds again starting next weekend, but I have a rescue I've had for 7 months and a pup I need to get on wild birds.

Heading up mid week should be pretty good as don't have to compete with the opener. Lot just depends on the harvest schedule. Don't overlook the SW as heading from Kansas may be worth a day.

That's a good suggestion, sir. Start in the SW and head North from there. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to my first out of state trip. Any advice on where to lodge?

Out of State hunt

Brian, I live in SW Iowa and yes, we have some birds around. A couple of times a year, the wife and I hunt our way up to the Spirit Lake area and lodge at Northland Inn (712) 336-1450. It is a Sportsman friendly Motel with an indoor bird cleaning area and freezer. The couple that own it are nice and available with some good advice on the local hunting areas. Feel free to give me shout before you head out and maybe we can link up and hit some local spots.

Brian

I drive in from NC to hunt and the public area around Spirit lake and Storm lake hold good populations of birds. They can vary from year to year and sometimes you just have to get out and see whats there and stay mobile and move when they don't show. Some the areas around town get shot out quickly and will have mostly hens.....Given the forecast shouldn't be much of a problem.

The forecast for Kansas looks good as well in areas especially for quail. You have any local knowledge to share?

Brian, I live in SW Iowa and yes, we have some birds around. A couple of times a year, the wife and I hunt our way up to the Spirit Lake area and lodge at Northland Inn (712) 336-1450. It is a Sportsman friendly Motel with an indoor bird cleaning area and freezer. The couple that own it are nice and available with some good advice on the local hunting areas. Feel free to give me shout before you head out and maybe we can link up and hit some local spots.

That's the second suggestion for Northland Inn. Think I have a winner. Thanks all for the responses.

I've been wondering about hunting IA also. I've got a young pup and am trying to decide whether to head all the way to SD from Illinois or stop short in IA. I liked the roadside counts for NW IA so maybe it will be IA for our first season as a team.

I live a quarter mile from Northland Inn, it's a quaint little joint that gets lots of fishermen and hunters.

Our bird population looks promising..

It's going to come down to a compromise of time spent driving vs likelihood of getting on birds. I'm a first time bird hunter and would just like to spend a couple days chasing "wild" birds with my pup.

I picked up a griffon. I like the idea of having a versatile breed as I'd like to poke around in upland and waterfowl and read that they do well with kids. She's a knucklehead one minute and a snuggler the next.

I picked up a griffon. I like the idea of having a versatile breed as I'd like to poke around in upland and waterfowl and read that they do well with kids. She's a knucklehead one minute and a snuggler the next.

nice breed, let her have fun this season.

Looks like I'll be up around Spirit Lake the 4th through the 7th. Shoot me a PM if you're around and want to hook up. I'm working on steadying up a few pointers however, so no flushing dogs or wild ass pointers :D I'm sure you understand.

Don't miss any opportunity to eat at the Family Diner on Main Street in Spirit Lake. Home cooking at its finest, with portions that will leave you wishing you could go back to bed to sleep it off.;)

Back