Hunt report 12/27/11

springerjohn

Hunted scratch birds at Central Penn. this morning. Thought I would beat the rain, that didnt happen. The 28ga brought down 2 pheasants in hard steady rain and 39deg. temps. Quit after 35 minutes soaked and cold all the way through. Back at it Wed and Fri morning.
IMG_0330.jpg

Didn't want to sart anothe thread so I'll post this here. I get together with a few friends each year for a hunt between Christmas and New Year's at Mason Dixon. We were able to get some field time in before the rain came. But we had to finish in the rain. This will be my last time out for a while with the dogs. Today we just hunted some chukars but we had a good time even though we got wet. My one friend's son came along and I let him use my 20 ga Citori White Lightning that I like to hunt with. That left me with a Stoger Condor to carry but the birds fell just the same.
The hunting party:
IMG_0175.jpg

Nittany and Blitz:
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

The switch grass is in good shape but some of the sorghum got knocked down from the snow in October. Some of the other cover along the woods and in the back was good enough to hunt. We hunted behind the barn/house so I'm not sure how the other side is.

Hunting scratch birds is when a person goes to a preserve and hunts for birds that have been released or set for other people but were not found/shot. Those birds could have been released that day or months ago.

Hunted scratch birds at Central Penn. this morning. Thought I would beat the rain, that didnt happen. The 28ga brought down 2 pheasants in hard steady rain and 39deg. temps. Quit after 35 minutes soaked and cold all the way through. Back at it Wed and Fri morning.
IMG_0330.jpg

John, 39 degrees and steady rain...it sounds like perfect weather for Springers, You must be gettin soft! LOL

Brian,
Looks like your two are really working great together! You boys had a great 2011!

Thanks FLDBRED. They do a good job together.

Do you have any outings planned? It gets tough this time of year with it getting dark out early, so after work isn't much of an option for those who have a late season pheasant or are in grouse areas.

Brian,

I have Friday off, so we are going to head to our camp in Bradford County for grouse and pheasant. I hesitate on shooting the pheasant " the ones on and near my property" this time of year, thinking if they made it this far, maybe they could make it till spring. So it will be a few more grouse outings and maybe a preserve hunt.

Last edited:
Back