how many dogs do you run?

kansashunting

I was reading the handy hints thread and started wondering. Between driving an hour back and forth with work everyday and driving to manhattan about every 2 weeks between halloween and christmas and living in central ks I see alot of hunters pulling 4-6 and even bigger dog trailers.

So my question is, how many dogs does everyone around here run in a field and how many per person?

Most I've been in a field with at a time was 4 dogs and 5 hunters. And my buddy and I each have our labs in the field together.(we each own one lab)

Usually only a few, but this past weekend I went out with 3 other guys who had my pups siblings, so we ran all 4 pups at once

I run one lab because that's all I have. Our opening weekend group is 5 to 7 guys. Unfortunately, I'm the only one with a dog. I wish we had another dog or two or three on that trip. Otherwise, I mostly hunt with my son and my dad with my lab. Ran into some guys from Texas over Thanksgving. They had a one ton Dodge with a fancy dog box on the back (in place of the truck bed). It had seats and stairs going up both sides. Used for hunting quail in Texas. They had 6 GSPs with them but only hunted two at a time. They were hunting with two locals. One of the locals had one lab and the other had three.

The most dogs I have hunted with myself, that are my dogs, was 3. I took a buddy's dog one year, so that gave me 4.

At one time I had my old yellow lab Conan, his son Titan, and my old chocolate female Ruby.

I know have Titan, 12yrs old, Roxie 5yrs old (ruby's granddaughter), and I am getting a new pup (yellow female) end of this month. So I will have her out next year during pheasant season.

I like to have at least two minimum though.

If I am duck hunting, then one is enough.

Greg

I run w/ no less than 2, even when hunting by myself. On dry days, I get all four of them out. If scenting conditions are optimal, I only run the 2 b/c I don't want to leave one behind on point. This w/e I expect to hunt in a group of 3 w/ 3 dogs on the ground. 1 for 1 is great unless you're hunting in large groups. By the end of the day Sunday, there's a good chance we'll see all 6 dogs on the ground at once for the last couple of passes.

I myself typically only run 2 dogs for myself but when my buddies are in the mix we let it all hangout so to speak and we can have as many as 8 dogs on the ground at once and with that many dogs it cuts down on the human end so its a lot safer than having alot of peaple running around with guns

I run two when hunting with a partner or group and just one when hunting alone. I used to run both of my EP's when hunting alone but found that I spent most of the time looking of one or the other dog and not enjoying myself as much. Kind of like kids, I think each child needs some alone time with just mom or dad some times.

When it is just my buddy and I out, we have had 7 dogs in front of just the two of us. It really makes up for not having additional people:)

I usually hunt by myself or with 1 other person so I only run 1 dog. However the last couple of days hunting alone in western ks I felt like I would have done better with a couple of dogs. Scenting was horrible, would have helped to have 2 on the ground, or to have more than 1 to sub in and out as it was so hot during the day. My lab was getting over heated.
BB

My partner and I usually run at least 4 dogs and sometimes 5 or 6. The way I see it is let the dogs do the work and not the humans.

Opening weekend there were 6 of us hunting with 4 GSP's on the ground at all times.

When I'm by myself I'll take my 2.

I am guilty of the 6 dog trailer, hunt with my wife and two daughters, 6 dogs all the time. I have found that 6 pointing dogs in a large crp field with the 4 of us, tends to confuse the pheasants. I have used more, but I have a hard time keeping track of a more than two at a time myself. Dogs are the whole sport for me, I'm a pathetic hunter anymore, thank goodness I trained my dogs to be better! I wander along, enjoy the hike and watch for pointed birds.

I started this season thinking I'd alternate dogs, then I found out I could handle both of them. Majority of my hunting is me & the 2 dogs, & other than a blocker, we can cover a lot of ground.

I usually hunt with 1 dog or 1 dog per hunter. But then, I have 1 versatile dog and 1 retriever which don't hunt together effectively. None of my hunting buddies has more than one dog of any type either.

Hunting buddies without dogs should be treasured. Each one you bring gives your dog experience on 4 more roosters. Yet another good reason to introduce new people to the sport of bird hunting...:thumbsup:

I usually. Am my myself an I have two as my brother used to say two will find more than one, three will find mote than two but four or five and I have done that with him can be mass confusion but it was fun especially when one pointed and the other four all backed where was my camera?

Back