How is the Lawrence area for roosters?

Sportnlyf

We'll be visiting non-hunting family friends in Lawrence this fall and I won't go without my guns and two springers. Can anyone tell me about the prospects for roosters and public access in that general area, say within 150 miles?

Your best bet would be to head to one of the several hunting preserves in the area and save your gas money and travel expense and put that towards a place you know you will shoot birds. Your dogs would love you for it, especially after having come all that way.

Bird hunting opportunities in that radius are few, not that they aren't there just very limited. With bird populations as low as they are right now it takes scouting, and previous knowledge to do much good in my opinion.

But it's always fun to get out and see new country and run the dogs through some cover. Once upon a time 150 miles from Lawrence a guy could shoot a limit of pheasants in the right area but I think it would be very tough to do now.

There are plenty of Cocky birds running around Lawrence :D

But I am not sure that I would shoot any, but you could go after them with your dog. :thumbsup:

i agree, go to a preserve, Kansas is going to be pretty bad once again, besides, Lawerence is far from traditional pheasant ground.

You're going to want to get a couple hours West of Lawrence for any reasonable chance. If you have followed the Kansas board the last couple of years, you know that the drought has been devastating on the bird populations.

If you check the KDWPT forecast when it comes out, and get a public hunting atlas when it comes out, you'll have as good a chance as the rest of us. I can about guarantee it will be tough hunting wild birds, and anything you get should be considered a real trophy.
:cheers:

Hawks are a protected species, but now those Jayhawks, every once and a while a rascally old Wildcat will get one.:)

Enjoy your time in Kansas and the Lawrence area is very nice. Frankly though, this old western Kansas farm boy prefers the openness of the beautiful Kansas Flint Hills just a little to the west.

Years ago I hunted a day on the public ground around Perry Reservoir (Jefferson Co.) north of Lawrence. Saw one pheasant. That area now has some created habitat with crop plots and shelter belts but I have not tried them. Douglas Co. is mostly rough and wooded with little crop ground - just not the type of habitat pheasants are found in.

Years ago I hunted a day on the public ground around Perry Reservoir (Jefferson Co.) north of Lawrence. Saw one pheasant. That area now has some created habitat with crop plots and shelter belts but I have not tried them. Douglas Co. is mostly rough and wooded with little crop ground - just not the type of habitat pheasants are found in.

Yep, Used to find them in Jefferson county but sadly that is a thing of the past.:mad:

Kick'em Up!

Thanks for the information guys, my wife will have to visit our friends on her own. I guess I'll look for wild birds in Montana and North Dakota again this fall.

Back