How Did You do This Year Hunting??

prairiepork

Hi gents-

i live in Lincoln. would love to hear how people did bird hunting this year in our great state. 3 days left in the season, get out there and whack 'em.

I'll start. saw more quail then I have seen in years, although I shoot more trees than quail. remember we had a pretty tough, icy winter last year in some areas, but a great spring and summer with plenty of moisture, so I think the hatches went off well. pheasants were spotty, but I did pretty well also. had a couple days of limits, and that is pretty good for eastern nebraska. personally I think the rural mail carrier surveys are a bit flawed and don't give a true picture of the bird populations, but that is for another thread.

always go grouse hunting, and that was fantastic in the sandhills this year, tons of birds.

i don't get out to many other parts of the state to hunt pheasants and quail, so it would be great to hear how the hunting is.

good fortune

I think there were plenty of birds and still are plenty of birds out there. I believe i seen just as many if not more then last season. I plan to get in one more day of hard hunting with the dogs, i hope to make it a good one. I did get some great dog work over the season, had some great points and some great backs and some great cripple run downs, i will remember those things for a long time to come. I managed to scratch down 35 Roosters and 7 Quail.

I live in lincoln also.

Its been fair at best in Northern and Central Gage. Wet early spring I think hurt reproduction. Kept real good records of bird harvest on our land the last 6 years and this is by far the worst. By 40 percent. Buddies similar in area.

Hopefully get a better reproduction next year.

2008-9 Results

The season in central Nebraska was OK, but I don't believe there were as many birds as last year, probably due to the extremely wet spring. I harvested 51 roosters this year, but 20 of those were in Kansas the rest were taken on mostly public ground in Hall, Webster, Kearney, Sherman, Nance, Harlan, Furnas, Clay, Nuckolls and Fillmore counties. Needless to say I put on a lot of miles during the season.

9 months until the opener, good luck.

Back