High protein and organ failure?

Weimdogman

Seems that 30 years ago everyone cautioned against feeding high protein year round. Has the food gotten better or is liver/kidney damage still a real concern?

Great question. Too much of a "good thing" often proves to be detrimental long-term ... including humans and dogs.

Seems like a number of hunters are chasing better dog food due to the old grass being greener on the other side of the fence thing. Here's what has worked for me in the 24 years I've been fielding bird dogs. I always feed Purina One. Why? For one, it's highly nutritious and my dogs have thrived on it. They have plenty energy afield. Two, it's available in most stores and always at Walmart. Changing dog food can traumatize the dog's gut and perhaps even more so when the usual food runs out during a hunt and what's locally available is substituted.

On non-hunting days my dog is fed half a ration in the morning and half in the afternoon. The day before a day of hunting, the dog gets extra in the evening - all it wants if it's going to be a full day of hunting -- and nothing in the morning. The dog's stomach should be empty when put afield. I never feed snacks either.

Well, that's just what has worked for me.

I am just a dog owner like everybody else with zero expertise in dog nutrition. That said, I did spend quite a bit of time researching dog food when I bought my latest pair of young gun dogs. I did a lot of reading, talked with several different breeders on what they fed and why. I talked with people who ran their dogs in hunt tests, field trials etc. and while the brand sometimes differed the one consistent was most recommended feeding 30/20. A few fed 24/20 to their kennel. Clearly either will work.

One night I found a research study that stated that hunting dogs fed dog food with 30% protein had fewer soft tissue injuries than those that were fed lower protein levels. Another study I read said that dogs fed 20% fat found significantly more birds than dogs fed lower fat food. So for me, what articles I read supported what most breeders and competitors were telling me to feed.

I also know some change their dog food over the course of the year from lower fat and protein to higher depending on time of year. That wasn't recommended to me.I found an article on dog food that quoted a nutritionist at Purina:

"It's not advantageous to switch to a dog food lower in protein or carbohydrates during the summer months. Purina Research Nutritionist Brian Zanghi, PhD, explains, 'Switching to a maintenance diet in the off-season is like metabolically detraining your dog.'

Rather, Zanghi advises feeding a high-protein/high-fat performance dog food year-round, such as Purina Pro Plan SPORT Performance 30/20 Formula. 'It's best to reduce the portion fed in the off-season and monitor body condition to help keep your dog healthy and fit.'

The negatives I found on feeding 30/20 were focused around weight(a fat dog) or dogs with existing liver issues or food allergies. I have not found any data or research that indicates that 30/20 or similar food damages a dogs liver or any other organs.

I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to dog food. Every dog is different and different breeds have different considerations. People 50 years ago had great dogs and I would guess that none were fed a 30/20 diet. In the end, I think that people should feed what they think is best. Find something that works and stick with it if you can.

After 40 years of owning dogs, I have never found changing dog food frequently to be beneficial. The only thing I didn't anticipate when I got my current pups was inflation and the jump in cost of dog food.

Last edited:
I lived in Alaska for 30 years where the long-distance mushing community is strong.
I've always feed the highest fat (>=25%) highest protein (>=30%) kibble on the market.
For an adult 65 pound lab, 2 cups per day is their normal feeding.
My labs have all lived between 13 and 15 years old. They all have hunted to age 13.

My friend's wife's dog has developed liver issues. It's 7 years old.

His wife is BIG. She feeds her dog what she eats. Not good to feed lots of human food. She can't stop eating or feeding the dog.

I always feed once per day(evening). Dogs started from wild animals. They historically feasted and fasted. When they had a kill they gorged themselves. It might be several weeks before they made another kill or scavenged some food.

I feed in evening so as to avoid twisted stomach or gut. Some hunting dog breeds are prone to this. My friend lost one dog FAST before could get to the vet. Second dog he knew the symptoms and made it in time to get operated on and saved. Not a nice death!

The food I feed all year is 26% protein, 16% fat. It's chicken, rice and veggies. No corn. My dogs work during the hunting season but they are not Iditarod athletes. I watch their weight and feed a bit more if losing some weight. I expect them to trim up during hunting. Fat is an important part of the diet more so than high protein content.

Back