Henry Single Shot Shotguns

BritChaser

Does anyone have field experience with these? Would like some opinions, especially about cocking the external hammer. Thanks!

I have four singles, two Hercules and two "other"; all have exposed hammers. Not really an issue for me, although I'm not surprised when a glove doesn't pull the hammer back as I'm raisng the gun to track a bird. Part of the package. Do love them though, not only for the lightness of the gun and the quick mount, but also they demand I pay full attention to each shot.

However, it is a memorable experience when you first put a rifled slug in one and shoot a target. Makes me pray ( well, sort of) all four times I've done it.🤬

what i'm curious about cocking. do you hunt with it cocked or do you cock on point or flush like one flips off the safety

I carry the shotgun at (roughly) port arms and cock it as I am bringing it up to my shoulder to track and shoot.

I practice bringing the gun up while cocking it at home, and mounting to my shoulder and tracking the front bead along the junction of wall and ceiling. I want to ingrain the muscle memory as much as I can.

Back