Help with 1st trip to SD

riplip

Would greatly appreciate any general help and direction as to lodging recommendations and general hunting area in SE SD. I have done a considerable amount of online research and have the walk in atlas but seems as if most of the opportunities are of the guided/lodge variety. My dad and I (with dogs) are headed there from St. louis 1st week in Nov and would like to hunt public but don't mind paying private access or trespass fees just want to hunt and stay on our own. Thank you in advance!

Greetings from Minnesota and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here.

SE South Dak...obviously closer to MO. but not the best area of SD to hunt. I would suggest farther west, if that works for you.

Have you checked the road survey via SD Game and Fish? This may be of some help in selecting a general area to pursue. You've selected the prime time to hunt; waiting until later in the season will provide more opportunities for land access.

I have a house rented Nov. 25Th for five day's if you are interested. It's in the Miller area - central SD. Lived in Webster Groves years ago!

Jon

SESD is a tuff area to hunt. There are pockets of birds. Not a ton of good WIAs. 2 more hours dive might well be worth it.

That being said I hunt that area 40-50 days a year and usually get a couple every time I go out. It is on private ground and it involves a lot of cattails.

I am a life long resident of central SD. I have an empty house and mobile home that I have been thinking about renting out. I also have a brother with 7k acres of farm land just north of my house in Miller, SD. If you are interested in either give me a call. I haven't rented out before, but I am willing to try to find a fair price for a week or weekend.

605-290-1202 (Kenny)

Hi Kenny,

Years ago...15 to be exact, I hunted the Donald Simons farm that was located in York township, north and east of St. Lawrence and was wondering if this is the same farm that you referred to in your message?

I have hunted a farm east of St. Lawrence for the past ten years, but have spent lots of time at the old Lipps Restaurant and other eating establishments in Miller.

What is youir estimate of the bird situation in your area?

Drop a line when you have a moment. Jwbast@comcast.net

Jon

I believe that would be my brother David you are talking about. I sent you a message. Birds are down, but they are out there. Big thing this year will be that most of the crop will be out. That should give the hunters some help in getting those that are out there.

Thanks for all of the information. Based on recommendations looks like we will head west to chamberlain area. Doesn't look like there is too much public land around so hoping to find some daily access fees. Any recommendations or contacts for access? We serf edible so we may wait until season is open for a while. Thanks again for the help.

I have no contacts in the Chamberlain area. It's a good area to hunt and I don't believe this part of SD declined as much as others, but it's heavily hunted.

You might go online and google "SD-Hunting -Chamberlain" and see what comes up.

Jon

Thanks for all of the information. Based on recommendations looks like we will head west to chamberlain area. Doesn't look like there is too much public land around so hoping to find some daily access fees. Any recommendations or contacts for access? We serf edible so we may wait until season is open for a while. Thanks again for the help.

I think there are a bunch of us NR's planning to hit this area this season.

Back