Help identify plant

FieldKing

There are a bunch of these plants/weeds? In a pasture on some property I am buying, the field was overused by too many Horses. I am sure these have no value to wildlife, can anyone identify them for me. Any suggestions to get rid of them? One pic is the stem and the other is the pods growing on them.

2djdld2.jpg

2mi4w14.jpg

Last edited:
Pic is a bit distant and lacking detail, but looks like jimpson weed to me. If it is, it is poisonous to eat. Google and see if you can get a pic to compare to.

I was thinking the pods looked like jimpson (hells bells) also but the stems on it out here are usually green/ greyish in color. Flowers are still on out here, they look like upside down bells and are white to pale purple, besides dove weed and loco weed its one of the only plants that will grow in over grazed areas in my area.

try googling bull thistle and burdock and see if that is it. I cant tell much from the pics but as noted Jimison weed is a possibility too. Think its going to be one of these 3. As far as control 2-4-D should get it.

Thanks all, I googled some pics and it looks like Jimson weed. I bought a small piece of land (11 acres) and the old horse pastures are a disaster. I believe there were to many horses on the property, they were eating bark off of trees. I will be doing some restoration. We have wild turkey in the area and I have found deer tracks, Quail are a long shot but slightly possible.

When you get ready for all of us with nothing invested to tell you how to have your fun rehabilitating, start up the thread and we'll overwhelm you with BS.

First step is to find out where you are and where the soil types and location can take you. Then you can map out a plan to accomplish that. You will also need a goal. Deer, turkey, and quail all have their own ecological niche. Quail have the narrowist. There is plenty of deer and turkey habitat that is no longer quail habitat. However, there is little quail habitat that is not also deer and turkey habitat.

Back