Heartworm year round

Ranger6

Today my Pointing lab female tested positive for Heartworms. I stopped giving her the monthly pills in October as I had been told you did not have to worry about them during cold weather. She is now not able to train, hunt or exercise for the next few Months while she is going through her treatment. You might want to ensure you get your Dogs checked and keep them on Heartworm medicine year round. This is going to be an expensive painfull lesson but she should fully recover. Learn from my mistake and don't let this happen to your Dog.

Tom

I keep mine on it year round. It also keeps them wormed. I use ivermectin 1 percent injectable and put it on there food once a month sometimes twice.

Cheaper that way for me with 5 dogs. Although it will expire before I use an entire bottle.

I do the same as Duckn66. I use Ivamec for cattle, and give it to mine the 1st of each month. If you use Ivamec for cattle you need to have someone show you the dosage amount depending on their weight. It is considerably cheaper to do it this way.

My vet says year-round on heartworm meds.

Year round....cheap insurance!

cr

heart worm

don't panic over heartworm, go to the internet and learn about the bug and how it gets in the dog, there is lot of info on the subject and is easy to prevent and can be cheap using the horse worming med. keep in mind that the mosquito has to be able to maintain a body temp. of over 70 deg. for ten days in a row in order for the microfilia to develop and in most of this country much of the year that is not possible, know your area's temp. once the dog has the bug, you can't kill it yourself. the use of ivermectrin will not kill the present worms but will stop any more from developing and if the case is not too bad, the worms will eventually die on their own. while we need vets, they need money and they love the panic and the economic benefits they create. this subject is serious but easy to control, learn about it before it cost you $1500 of so,. once the bug is in the dog, you have about 30 days to kill it, therefore a dose of ivermectrin every 30 days is the standard. by the way, the med. the vets give you is in fact ivermectrin in chewable. you can divide the dogs weight by the horse allowance to get the dose, probably about 5/8 to 3/4 inch, the efficacy is really high and the risk of overdose is really low. get up to speed on this issue

cheers

t
don't panic over heartworm, go to the internet and learn about the bug and how it gets in the dog, there is lot of info on the subject and is easy to prevent and can be cheap using the horse worming med. keep in mind that the mosquito has to be able to maintain a body temp. of over 70 deg. for ten days in a row in order for the microfilia to develop and in most of this country much of the year that is not possible, know your area's temp. once the dog has the bug, you can't kill it yourself. the use of ivermectrin will not kill the present worms but will stop any more from developing and if the case is not too bad, the worms will eventually die on their own. while we need vets, they need money and they love the panic and the economic benefits they create. this subject is serious but easy to control, learn about it before it cost you $1500 of so,. once the bug is in the dog, you have about 30 days to kill it, therefore a dose of ivermectrin every 30 days is the standard. by the way, the med. the vets give you is in fact ivermectrin in chewable. you can divide the dogs weight by the horse allowance to get the dose, probably about 5/8 to 3/4 inch, the efficacy is really high and the risk of overdose is really low. get up to speed on this issue

cheers

I agree! I have used Ivermectin for cattle, on my dogs. It works fine, as long as there are is not any Collie breeding involved! I use the chew up tabs of safeguard, now. It has the pyrantel as well, to help control other worms. There have been MANY false test results for heartworms. There is evidence of dogs on Ivermectin both chewable and liquid which have developed heartworms, whether that is during treatment or before, or administered properly or not, is the question. Ivermectin has a waiting period for cattle and horses, meaning it's not safe without withdrawl for human food. So if you intend to eat your dog, be advised:cheers:. I am more concerned about the noxious weeds and awns, and tick borne diseases, for both him and me!

Just make sure you use ivermetin 1%

Do NOT use "invermec plus" there is something in the plus version that is bad for dogs

one tenth of a cc per 10 lbs of body weight every thirty days.

I squirt it in their mouth and give them a milk bone...my dogs line up for it so the can get that treat LOL

I used to stop the heartworm med. in late Oct., after the first frost.

The dog contracted heartworm - $750 later, at the Uof M Hospital, he was fine.

Lesson: administer it year-round!

Yes keep my dogs on heartworm meds year round and also gets most of the other worms too. Do take a stool sample to check for worms when get there yearly shots and so far always check clean of other worms. Did use to use ivermectin when I had hogs and cattle as always had some available but didn't know at the time that dosage is important and was over dosing them and had one to go blind and will always think by my over dosing was the cause but no proof, so dosage and using the right form of Ivomec is really important.

Back