Heartworm, ring and round, ticks and fleas

Heartworm, Flea & Tick Medicine

Best? Works for me. Or, should I say been working for years & 4 dogs.

Interceptor - Heartworm Preventative, Dewormer (Whips, Hooks, & Rounds),

Frontline Plus - Adult Fleas, Flea Eggs, Ticks (minimum age - 8 weeks), can also be used on cats.

Last May my wife bought a seresto collar for our 5lb house dog that was always carrying ticks as well as my shorthair. After the 3rd day I never saw another tick for the rest of the year. I'm a believer on them for ticks. With frontline and some other pour ons, I was always seeing ticks.

Best? Works for me. Or, should I say been working for years & 4 dogs.

Interceptor - Heartworm Preventative, Dewormer (Whips, Hooks, & Rounds),

Frontline Plus - Adult Fleas, Flea Eggs, Ticks (minimum age - 8 weeks), can also be used on cats.

I am pretty darn sure you can not use Frontline for dogs on cats. I believe the active ingredient is Pyrothyroid. I believe it can kill felines through incidental contact! I may be wrong but I doubt it

Well, I don't have any cats & I don't know your background but the list of medicines I mentioned & other brand choices, were all part of a handout offered through my Veterinary Hospital here in Mi. Maybe, Frontline, not Plus, if such a thing, is bad for cats?

Well, I don't have any cats & I don't know your background but the list of medicines I mentioned & other brand choices, were all part of a handout offered through my Veterinary Hospital here in Mi. Maybe, Frontline, not Plus, if such a thing, is bad for cats?

Most if not all topicals formulated for canines are extremely toxic to felines. Their are topicals formulated for felines. I just wanted to make sure nobody try's to interchange.
Might be a urban myth but I have heard cats have died from sharing a bed with dogs recently treated with topicals.

I have used topical sprays with good success in the fall. That said I still have had occasional problems with ticks and I have two dogs get sick from ticks (one dog twice). The symptoms came on fast (fever). Blood tests indicated that my one dog last fall was very ill. White blood cells high and platelets so low that a field bruise or injury could have caused her to bleed out. She was fine in two weeks of strong antibiotics.

September and October are the worst months for deer ticks in Minnesota ... well for my dogs.

I use Heartgard (April through December 1) and started Nexgard today. They are both made by the same pet pharma company and have been tested together for interactions. I will use Nexgard next fall, coupled with topical spray ...

Also do the Lyme vaccinations on each dog.

For what it is worth ... no claim to accuracy of facts, but interesting read:
https://www.vetinfo.com/heartgard-plus-vs-interceptor.html

Back