Headed out for my annual birthday hunt.

fsentkilr

I am loading the pickup getting ready to head out for my annual birthday hunt. Three friends and I will be leaving here from Colony when they get here around 5 or so. This is the only time I hunt with 4 people but these guys are good friends and we do it every year. We will be staying in Dodge City and hunting from Dodge over to Cimarron up to Dighton and over to Ness. I hope I don't piss too many people off giving the "location" of where I am hunting and I hope not too many of you trace me with my phone. Actually on second thought go ahead. I will be driving a white dodge 3/4 ton diesel with Spencer Farms and a picture of a Lexion combine plate on the front. We can meet up for a beer or something maybe. Actually just poking some fun at the guys who gave me grief earlier about posting locations. Seriously we will be out there through Sunday if anybody else is around the area. I am not sure how good we will do, hunting a warm up after it has been really cold with the birds bunched up sometimes make it tough. One thing I am sure of we will have a good time.

Have a good time Michael! Honk as you go by! Our birthdays are less than a month apart! Snow babies!!!

I will be hunting my grounds in Ness County this weekend. Hopefully it rains on Saturday, but the chances seem to have went down. We need rain bad!

There are lots of people who would think that's a terrible way to spend a birthday....I for one, can't think of any way that I would rather spend my birthday!

There are lots of people who would think that's a terrible way to spend a birthday....I for one, can't think of any way that I would rather spend my birthday!

To be fair, it would be considered poaching if I hunted on my birthday! HAHA

Good Luck on your birthday hunt! I was hawking rabbits out in that area a week ago, and heard plenty of roosters cackling. I hope you get into 'em!

We are seeing lots of birds, like I thought they are all bunched up. We just saw 75 or so in a patch of weeds surrounded by mlo. So far 5 roosters and 5 quail. I have half my limit. It's plenty warm and the birds are really wild.

Is there any snow out there? Since my hunting buds family farm burned out there this year he wont go at all this year but I am going to the GC at least once this month if dodge is out.

No it's really dry. We ended up with 7 and 8 quail. We lost two roosters. They hit the ground running and the dogs couldn't find ground scent at all. There is dust coming off the cover as they run through it. I'm not sure how they pointed the birds they did, but they couldn't follow those cripples at all. Both of them were just wing tipped. We quit fairly early, one of my friends has a bad knee and was getting pretty sore. Its pretty warm, I wish it was 30 degrees cooler. We are at the room now and just mixed crown and cokes and are meeting friends in a bit for dinner.

Well we made it back in one piece although my heel has something going on with it, I can't put much weight on it. We had a really good hunt, shooting a mixed back of pheasants and quail. It seems like anywhere there is tumbleweeds there are quail, I have never seen as many quail as there is in that area in the 20 years I have hunted it. We saw over 100 pheasants each day, and probably close to 200, although they were bunched up and wild. We had a good morning Saturday morning when it was 8 degrees, shooting half our limit before we quit for the Chief's game. ( that was a waste of an afternoon) They were sitting better for the dog's Saturday then the rest of the hunt for some reason. We actually should have had 4 or 5 more that morning, with some misses and a bird hitting the ground running on the other side of a brand new barb wire fence and the last time I saw him he was running across the road like he hadn't even been shot. It took the dogs a bit to get through the fence and we never did find that bird, even though the dogs followed him over a quarter mile. We had really nice weather every day, although it was a little warm Thursday. There wasn't much wind the whole trip which is unusual for out there. It would be a lot nicer hunting if it would rain or snow out there, it is terribly dry and not good scenting conditions at all. Hopefully that situation will change soon, for sure before nesting season. The birds we shot were all in very good shape and as fat as you ever see them this time of year. Well back to work, I hope to get out again next week for a few days. I had a really good birthday hunt with good friends, good weather, good dogs and lastly we found some birds.

Sounds like a good hunt! Sucks about your heel, might it be plantar fasciitis? I know what it's like to be injured, I strained my back and missed all of December hunting.

Hope you recover soon.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I ended up with 1 and 3 for the weekend. Saw a few chickens too. This weekend may do Saturday and Sun in different spots. Sunday will just be chickens with a lifelong bud who is a PC nut.

Back