Hawk call to keep birds from flushing

odenney

Has anyone ever used a hawk call to keep birds from flushing out of gun range, it would seem like that the birds thinking that a hawk was in the area that they would rather sit still than run or fly.

That may be true but hawks dont make crunchy noise when walking through the grass, brush, or whatever cover they are in. It may make them hunker for a second but as soon as they hear ground noise, they will move. I had a guy do that one time. Kept blowing on a hawk squelch call. I finally had to tell him to swallow it! We weren't seeing anything and it was annoying as hell!

That may be true but hawks dont make crunchy noise when walking through the grass, brush, or whatever cover they are in. It may make them hunker for a second but as soon as they hear ground noise, they will move. I had a guy do that one time. Kept blowing on a hawk squelch call. I finally had to tell him to swallow it! We weren't seeing anything and it was annoying as hell!

lol (about your partner who wouldn't stop blowing that thing)... That was my thinking as well.... Quiet always trumps everything in my book (when hunting with a dog).

Last edited:
Yes, I have used one. I rarely make noise; when I have to call a dog, I like it to be a hawk scream. The problem is they do not seem to last long. Like to find an electronic hawk screamer. Always wondered why they put it on a collar but not for a whistle.

If you find one, let me know.

I will tell you this, here in NE Montana when hunting late season birds, it is very common to have hawks, owls and eagles roosted in trees where pheasants congregate. Some birds will still bail out as soon as truck stops, others, will hold , not unusual to see birds of prey take off for birds that have bailed, I believe the prey birds actually like to see hunters appear, makes birds flush and land somewhere the predator can get them. Like was said before, just another noise to announce your presence, I thought about using one when I was young, but didn't. If you try one, let us know what you think. On a different note, when I first moved up here many years ago, I thought all the eagles, both golden and bald along with the wintering snow owls were so neat, they still are, but DAMN, they are a pheasant killing machines.

Back