Has anybody seen any baby pheasant chicks

Just wondering if anybody is seeing anything or did all the rain wipe out everything!! Was at the in-laws in Stearns/Pope county several times this past week, did not see a bird, very concerned!!!:(:(:(

Where I live there isn't usually a lot of pheasants anyway but I have been seeing and hearing a lot of roosters. They crowed until about a week ago. I figure that isn't a good sign. I've seen zero hens and the only chicks are the ones in my pen. A lot of good reports where we go in SD. They haven't seen the rain we have though.

My observations are the same as Brdoglvr, we have a few roosters around but I have not seen any broods. I am hoping the hens nested late and the nests were washed away and are now in the process of renesting. Good reports from the Dakotas so the news isn't all bad.

Haven't heard much about MN pheasant hatch.
Doves have had a good year, lots of young ones flying around already.

I think it's a wait and see.

It's my understanding that if a hens clutch wasn't totally lost and some chicks may have survived the heavy rain, she Will NOT try again. However, if the whole clutch is lost she will likely try again. Either way, we may not know the answer till late August or early Sept when the DNR finishes their annual roadside counts.

I saw the first brood July 9th in Scott County.The hen had at least 6 chicks that were a little bigger than an adult bobwhite quail. That area got some of the worst of the rains. My friend in western MN reported the first brood he has seen during the third week of June. In that area, many hens were still in harems up through late June, now most roosters are alone. I saw a mallard brood this week, ducklings fully feathered and almost indistinguishable from the hen, also 3 wood duck broods in the same wetland, one brood of ten had males already showing white face markings.

Good news!!

Was at In-Laws farm over the weekend Stearns/Pope County saw two broods of chicks, one about 10-12 birds the other 6-8 birds, little guys can run and hide really good!!!:):)

Possible second hatch

Received multiple reports of tiny pheasant chick sightings the last several days. After questioning the people reporting the information for size of chick and such, it seems that these are late/renest type birds. Promising reports!!!:):)

Came across a dusting area at the ranch yesterday. (gopher mounds) Pheasant feathers, hen tracks and a bunch of pigeon size tracks. :thumbsup:

This is in a 15 acre area I leave just for the birds, undisturbed grass and brushy stuff, large cattail area nearby. First walk in this area since early Spring, no pups allowed, yet. :cheers:

sounds like upland heavan there wayne... ruffed grouse pheasants & turkeys all in 1 area harf to top that mixed bag... see what a little land set aside will do happy to see and hear about ur land wish more people left lands for the wildlife not for $... keep up the great wildlife managment on ur land wayne...

did u get another dog wayne??? or did u always have woodster the britt & 2 labs???

I cut a lot of hay in NW Iowa. First cutting we saw very few broods, this second cutting two weeks ago we saw several broods which where good fliers. Last year we didn't see much the entire time.

Should be much improved over last year.

sounds like upland heavan there wayne... ruffed grouse pheasants & turkeys all in 1 area harf to top that mixed bag... see what a little land set aside will do happy to see and hear about ur land wish more people left lands for the wildlife not for $... keep up the great wildlife managment on ur land wayne...

did u get another dog wayne??? or did u always have woodster the britt & 2 labs???

Woody the Britt is just a bit over two years old, last year was his first hunting. The Woodster loves his job. I was able to get him a lot of action. :)

3rd hatch

Was at the Game Fair yesterday and was talking to a couple of guys from Southern MN. They said that in their area they were on a 3rd hatch and the chicks were tiny. They think it's gonna be a banner year in their area.

I said I will be down this year if that's the case!:D

Back