Hail in South Dakota

Just received a phone call from a good friend that operates near Pierre, hail storm went through yesterday, wiped out everything including dead pheasants and deer that he found. Just sick about it!!!!

There are going to be isolated areas like this that the hail is going to take a toll on the birds. Happens most every year. I'm also sure that with all the rain and flooding in the SE part of the state that a lot of nests and chicks got drowned out. But the good news is that, for the most part, the state has had good moisture. It is a little dry in the north central part of the state but not the drought conditions that existed last year. Cover should be good and if we continue to get some moisture there will be no emergency haying of CRP lands. It also appears the new farm bill includes additional acres for CRP. So overall, I think things are looking up for the pheasants. At least I sure hope so.

Talked to a farmer friend in north central part of the state tonight. Said hail missed them to the south and saw their first young of the year chicks today. Was the first report of this years hatch showing up that I heard of.

Back