Had to say goodbye yesterday

I had to say goodbye to my 17 year old GSP yesterday. Tough deal, but a mast cell tumor ultimately took her from me.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle my 6 year old GSP. He's obviously upset, but not enough to where he wouldn't eat or anything. I keep catching him looking at her blanket and looking for her. When I came home from the vet I hung her collar on the handrail, he's smelled it every time he goes by. I want to leave it there for me. Should I leave her blanket and other stuff out as is for a while or get it all cleaned up? I just want him to have a quick transition.

And when I said it would be next July before I got another one, I was told: "it'll be longer than that!" :eek:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your GSP. But, wow, you got 17 years from her. That's a long life span for a GSP. He happy you were able have her around that long.

Not sure what to tell you about her blanket and other stuff. When I've lost a dog the other one was quick to move on. It was almost like they knew and understood. You might leave some of her things around for a while and then start to gradually take them away. The dog will probably handle the loss better than you. I know mine did.

Sorry for your loss. 17 is quite the accomplishment.

I agree with what Dakota suggested. I think the younger one will figure it out soon enough.

dogs

I just put down a 16 year old Golden a few weeks back.... My other 2 dogs took it as hard as I did..... my oldest would just lay where her best friend would lay and make whining noises. It was sad...

17 is a OLD dog for a hunting partner.... just remember the good times, it helps!

Make sure you get your other dog out as much as possible, it's a great distraction for the both of you.

I had to say goodbye to my 17 year old GSP yesterday. Tough deal, but a mast cell tumor ultimately took her from me.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle my 6 year old GSP. He's obviously upset, but not enough to where he wouldn't eat or anything. I keep catching him looking at her blanket and looking for her. When I came home from the vet I hung her collar on the handrail, he's smelled it every time he goes by. I want to leave it there for me. Should I leave her blanket and other stuff out as is for a while or get it all cleaned up? I just want him to have a quick transition.

And when I said it would be next July before I got another one, I was told: "it'll be longer than that!" :eek:

Sorry to hear about your loss. What did you feed here? Because the care you had for her and keeping on good food went along way.

Sorry to hear about your loss. What did you feed here? Because the care you had for her and keeping on good food went along way.

ProPlan chicken and rice most of the year. Switched to ProPlan performance during the hunting season, more protein and fat. Now they have the shredded blend chicken and rice and I feed that. I'm convinced that feeding good food definitely contributed to her long life.

I'm sorry for your loss. Even at 17 it's tough. I'm glad you still have another dog and are not dogless. Have patience with your wife. I don't know how attached she is to your dogs, maybe she doesn't show it, but she may have been and it's hurting her, too.

Losing my last dog at only 5 to blasto was hugely traumatic for our family. It took a lot of patience on my part and some heart to heart talks, tears included, to come to an agreement to get another pup. My wife would like to travel more in retirement, which should come about the same time as the life expectancy of the current pup. Now, I can't see me having more time on my hands and not having a bird dog, so will bide my time and work on her over the years. I've got time.

mutts

dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. a new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. if you have loved many dogs, your heart is very bid

spence

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them.

And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.

If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog,

and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

So sorry for your loss. You and your other dog will help each other move on.

Loss

Sorry for your loss. It's a tough one to go through. Might want to let the six year old in bed with you for a while.

Sorry for your loss. I think with time, you will know when its right to put away the blanket and collar. 17 years old, wow is all I can say. I recently put down my 12.5 year old and what I'd have done to get another 4.5 years with her. 17 years with man's best friend is something all of us hope we get with our best friends. Time will heal the heart.

17 years is a big gift to a dog, especially one that got the care and comfort you provided. I am sure you and your other GSP will adjust fine. How about a young dog or a pup? Nothing chases away the gone dog blues like a new dog.

17 years is a big gift to a dog, especially one that got the care and comfort you provided. I am sure you and your other GSP will adjust fine. How about a young dog or a pup? Nothing chases away the gone dog blues like a new dog.

Guys, thanks for all comments. I take comfort into the fact that I did the right thing at the exact right time. Having 2 is always the plan. No rush. I think Ranger is starting to move on. This went on for about an hour last night.

So Sorry R.D. They leave with a chunk of our hearts.

Back