Habitat Question

Lee192233

Hey all,
As we all know habitat is the one thing that will save our sport. I'm going to try to help. My uncle owns a 120 acre farm that borders a river bottom that historically had wild birds, not a lot but there always were a few. Over the last five years I haven't seen any hens with broods like we used to. If I can talk my uncle into it what is the best way to get started improving habitat? I know it's not a big area but every acre would help! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Lee

The key scenario for habitat evaluation and planning is 1, where are you at; 2, where do you need to be; and 3, what management will take you from 1 to 2.

That being said, we probably don't have enough information to get you started. As a general note, since it is in or adjacent to a riparian corridor, you are probably having plant succession problems. A % estimate of timber, native grass, crop, weedy cover, and other habitat types is a starting point. Second, you'll need to evaluate what condition those habitat types are in. Third, you'll need to look over the fence and estimate what is available there so you are not duplicating something that is available in abundance. Hope you can work off of this and paint in the blanks for us. Probably the first question that needs answered is: where is this ground! If it is in Wisconsin, you have to understand that you're way out on the perimeter of the bobwhite range and can expect a boom and bust cycle with the weather patterns.

Thanks for the reply.
The land is located in Sheboygan County, WI. My uncles land is probably about 95% crop fields which he cash crops, corn, beans, alfalfa and a little winter wheat. The rest is weedy fence lines around the perimeter of the farm. Now that you made me think about the river bottom it has gone from mostly grass to probably 50% grass(I'm pretty sure it's 100% orchard grass), 25% brush/shrubs, 20% small (less than 10" diameter) trees, 5% weed patches. There's also some cattails right along the river. The farmers in the area used to do much more winter wheat farming but that seems to be a forgotten crop.
Would it be wise to contact a PF biologist in our area? I'm hoping to be able sell this to my uncle. My only worry is he seems to be very much against government programs. I'm hoping I can get some real world experiences from other farmers to help sway his opinion. I'd just like my kids to be able to hunt wild pheasants like I used to.
Thanks again, Lee

Sorry, been working quail hunters all day and didn't pick up on it being a pheasant dream instead of quail. Much more can be done for pheasants than quail here. One thing to think of is preserving nests that you are already possibly getting but losing due to farm operations. Consider delaying the first cutting of alfalfa until after July 1 at least and a bit later if possible. If wheat can be returned to the rotation, it can also be used for nesting cover. Your breakdown on habitat may indicate a shortage of brood-rearing habitat as many of the crops either won't be tall enough early enough or they don't function well as a brood-rearing crop. Setting back some of your shrub/brush acres to include more weedy cover is an option that you can do outside of federal programs. When you say 100% orchard grass, we all know that any monoculture is less productive than most mixed species grasslands. I don't know if there is room there for any conversion.

Yes, by all means contact the local PF biologist and see if you can get site visit. It is hard to diagnose habitat problems from script. The biologist will be able to give you simple conversions you can do on limited acres to fill habitat limiting factors. Hope this helps!

Troy,
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I am going to try to get my uncle and his neighbor who I am also good friends with to sit down with a PF biologist and see if we can get a plan together to help pheasants and other wildlife out in our area. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Thanks again,
Lee

Back