gun shy dog

benilleboy

I have a problem my dog loves to hunt but is scared of gun shots and he is a little timid of the sight of one. he is a pointing yellow lab thats is around 9 months old. I could use some advice i dont know what to do.

I see you didn't get much response when you posted this question in the Lounge forum, hopefully you will get some solid advice here.

I do have some questions that might help determine why your dog is gun shy. Have you had him since he was 8-9 weeks old? It seems the dog has had some adverse experience with guns. I can see him being scared by the noise of a gun but to be afraid of the sight of a gun is strange. How was this dog introduced to gunfire?

Normally when a pup it young you can take him out in the field with a cap gun. While the dog is occupied looking around and some distance from you fire off a shot behind your back. Just continue walking like nothing happened. Do this a few times each time in the field. Gradually work up to a .22 or blank pistol, then to maybe a .410, etc.

Sounds like maybe someone started blasting a larger bore shotgun around the dog when he was younger. I think you need to go back to the beginning and start over with him using the plan I layed out above. I'm sure others on this site that are better trainers than I will be able to give some good advice on how to handle your problem. Good luck.

gunshy

Your problemm is in my opinion the worst you can have from the perspective of fixing it. I would suggest that you seek a professional who specializes in this problem. It can be fixed, but it is a long careful process. I have seen it done and to give you some encouragement strong bird desire is a key ingredient. The successful program I have seen involves using a chain gang, where your dog is chained with other gunshy dogs, and dogs which are robustly not gunshy. A pigeon, ( usually), is used to work all dogs in turn, when the dog flushes or points the bird, a shot, usually a .22, to start, working up to a 12 gauge is fired. Dog is praised lavishly, and returned to the chain gang, ONE turn each only, per day! This is repeated for weeks at a time. I have seen dogs so shy, they would blink the bird, or try to get as far away as possible, even dig a hole to get away from the action. Eventually all of them were straining at the chain in anticipation to get at the bird. Gunshy issues a thing of the past. Most professional pointer and setter horseback shooting dog or all age trainers, know the cure, and have used it many times. It is not all that unusual a problem, but the key is bird action in a controlled enviornment, and you need a good number of non-shy dogs to apply demonstration, and peer group pressure. Because it is a daily event,and you need a number of dogs, reason for recommending a pro. Good Luck

I agree with Dzeb, I took Gunne for example as a 10 week old pup let him run in a field. I shot light 22 blanks. 3 times each day until he just kept running and did not stop and look around or come to me. When the trainer tested him while on point with a 22 blank gun close to him. Nothing he just just held point. Then when the trainer flushed a pigeon and shot it with a 12 gauge. Nothing he just went and got the downed pigeon........The system does does work try it. I posted this system in detail a long time ago it is on this forum someplace. Try a search you may find it...........Bob

Last edited:
DEzeb i got him around 10 weeks old and the kennel i bought him from introduced him with a small pistal and then i started him with a .22

Your problemm is in my opinion the worst you can have from the perspective of fixing it. I would suggest that you seek a professional who specializes in this problem. It can be fixed, but it is a long careful process. I have seen it done and to give you some encouragement strong bird desire is a key ingredient. The successful program I have seen involves using a chain gang, where your dog is chained with other gunshy dogs, and dogs which are robustly not gunshy. A pigeon, ( usually), is used to work all dogs in turn, when the dog flushes or points the bird, a shot, usually a .22, to start, working up to a 12 gauge is fired. Dog is praised lavishly, and returned to the chain gang, ONE turn each only, per day! This is repeated for weeks at a time. I have seen dogs so shy, they would blink the bird, or try to get as far away as possible, even dig a hole to get away from the action. Eventually all of them were straining at the chain in anticipation to get at the bird. Gunshy issues a thing of the past. Most professional pointer and setter horseback shooting dog or all age trainers, know the cure, and have used it many times. It is not all that unusual a problem, but the key is bird action in a controlled enviornment, and you need a good number of non-shy dogs to apply demonstration, and peer group pressure. Because it is a daily event,and you need a number of dogs, reason for recommending a pro. Good Luck

2X

Excellent post. Gunshy is the worst problem you can have with a hunting dog and 99.9% of gunshys are caused by Man, not Mother Nature. Introduction to the gun is of utmost importance and many people treat it very, very lightly. Walking around with a capgun or whatever isnt going to cure it most times.

If it were my dog, I'd seek out a good pro who specializes in this gunshy problem. Sorry, I dont know of any. Good Luck.

NB

2X

Excellent post. Gunshy is the worst problem you can have with a hunting dog and 99.9% of gunshys are caused by Man, not Mother Nature. Introduction to the gun is of utmost importance and many people treat it very, very lightly. Walking around with a capgun or whatever isnt going to cure it most times.

If it were my dog, I'd seek out a good pro who specializes in this gunshy problem. Sorry, I dont know of any. Good Luck.

NB

You need a very specialized plan to overcome this and I would seriously consider the advice given above if you are not an accomplished trainer, otherwise you run the high risk of making things worse !!

Last edited:
thanks you guys! im going to try the cap gun walking around in public areas

Read the dog. Every one knows when their dog is getting birdy. If you sense your dog is seriously freaking out try something else. If it's tail is wiggling and the dog is a little cautious you'll be fine. Carry the gun around the dog alot, not necessarily shooting it. When you feed the dog or when you are working around the house, or throwing a retrieving dummy, carry a gun.

Thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I have had a number of bird dogs over the years and prevention is definitely easier than the cure. But, now that you see this you have options. As some have suggested, you can take your dog to a pro. Expensive, but effective.

If you are going to do it yourself. Try this.

Get some good canned dog food. There's some real junk out there. Blue Buffalo brand makes a great canned food, lots of meat and healthy stuff, beef, lamb, venison, salmon. Your dog will love it.

Put the food down. Let him eat it.

Next day, grab a gun and hold it while you prepare the dog food. Don't wave it around or anything, just hold it in the crook of your arm as you prepare his little feast. Talk to him. Act excited about what's happening. Put that yummy chow down.

Next day, same thing, but while he's eating go over stroke his shoulder, tell him what a good dog he is and set that gun down on the floor. Walk away. Watch him. Trust me he'll start ignoring guns.

Next, more canned food. While he's eating, without looking at him bang the counter. Not too loud at first. Just enough to startle him. The food will take his mind off the noise in a couple seconds. Let him eat. Bang it again. Take your time in this. Bang the counter with your open hand for a few days a few times while he's eating this great chow. He will eventually hardly even look up. And that's the key to each step. Your dog will tell when he has accepted this new noise in his world by hardly glancing over. He will be focused on that great chow.

Next get a couple two by fours. Same thing. But this is louder. Ignore the dog while you're doing this. Just look off like nothing is happening. Then bang those two by fours together, progressively louder. All the while feeding him this irresistible food.

Once he's ignoring these noises go to the gun. If you don't have one, buy a 22 blank pistol. You can get one at gundogsonline for about $25 or 30 bucks. Take him for walks by creeks and lakes and rivers where there's lots of things to occupy his senses. You want him cranked on nature. Point the gun away from the dog, behind your back when he's 30-40 yards away. Fire one shot. Keep walking and ignore the dog, unless he runs back to the car.

Fire another shot. Ignore the dog.

Do this for days on end, until the sound of a 22 doesn't bother him. He's a lab, so I know he loves to play fetch. Get him on stay, whoa, hold, whatever you use to make him sit still, or have someone else hold on to him. Take his favorite retrieving dummy throw it as far as you can and pop that 22 as you throw it. Now he will associate the sound of that little pop with the great joy of retreiving. Keep this up for many days. Move up to a .410 and start all over at the creeks and rivers and lakes. Stay away from him when you fire. Not too close. Watch him closely, he'll tell you what's up.

Take the dummy and throw it in the water. Fire off the .410. See what he does. If he looks nervous, back off.

Next step....birds. Here is where exteme caution needs to be used. You do not want any, and I mean any, negative associations with birds. So back to the 22. Get some pigeons, chuckar, whatever. Get him into a couple birds and just let them fly off. Get him all cranked up, bird crazy, birds, birds, birds!!! Working a field, searching for birds. Get him on point. Next, pop the 22 as you flush a bird.

DON'T WATCH THE BIRD!!! That is the mistake of the weekend trainer. We like to watch birds fly, and then shoot at them. This is all about the dog. Watch him as you flush the bird, then pop that 22 in the general direction of the bird flying off. He is going to be focused on that bird. Do this a lot. Get him used to the sequence...smell bird...point bird....you flush bird...bang!

Then move up to the .410 and actually kill a few. He'll be ignoring guns, focused on birds and retreiving before you know it.

I'm no expert, but this has worked on every dog I've owned. However, if at any time he is not adjusting to the bang at any level, you are either going to fast, or you need to seek professional help for your dog.

A professional trainer will cost you $500-1,000 bucks to fix this. Trying this method, maybe $50 and some gas, along with some great time with your dog.

And I can't emphasize enough that you need to take your time. This is the hunting companion you want to spend the next decade or more with. He needs to trust you in this environment. Taking your time with this will build that trust, and a great bond.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks,

hey i thought i would just let all you guys know that my dog is getting closer to breaking his fear. He isnt doesnt flinch when you shoot a cap gun or .22 blanks by him and he not scared of the sight of the gun

Good job. Keep us posted on the dogs progress .It will be a good learning experience (for me anyway-can't speak for others).

Back