Gun Lubrication

BritChaser

Will be going afield soon. Should I oil my gun (Citori)? Haven't done so in recent memory. If so, where? Thanks!

Yes, but too much will collect matter…wipe it down every time it’s used, run a brush or patch through the barrels once in a while…use an old toothbrush to clean the action, anything that moves, touches, etc…dip the brush in ballistol

20231009_135324.jpgthis one the curved metal on the bottom of the receiver. You can see dirty grease on it as I had shot a lot of clays at cariboos down in LeSueur. I wiped it off and added clean grease. I should add, this is the front wood I am holding, so this is where to grease the forend iron.

I like a light grease. One called superlube is what I use, it has no bad smell and is not very tacky. One tube will last a long time. The gun in my pics is a 725 citori, but they are all variations on the same theme.

I really like using Eezox because it dries and doesn't collect gunk. I also use a dab of plain Vaseline on the hinge pin of all my SxS guns. I learned this from an English gunsmith friend.

One thing to especially remember is if you are out there and any kind of moisture gets on the surface of your shotgun (like rain or snow), don't just throw it in the gun case for the night! You will wake up to rust, which isn't always easily removed. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

I’ve not heard of Eezox so will check it out
big fan of Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Lube - semi evaporative so powder residue, etc is not accumulated - great on semi autos
Still use a heavier oil on pumps - like Rem Oil

Was in a bind once on a quail hunt in western Oklahoma… dads franchi al48 which is an A5 copy wasn’t cycling. Pulled the dip stick on my Tacoma and put a few drops of oil on the friction ring. Perfect. worked like a charm the rest of the weekend.
Oddly enough, the only oil I use on my guns interiors anymore is the Mobil 1 0w-40 european formula placed into a pin-point applicator. Nice light oil that won't break down. A quart will last a lifetime. I still spray some Remoil on barrels and on my Wingmaster's action.

Back